Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

A question about YOUR Grandmothers.

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM
  • 35 Replies
3 moms liked this

How many Grandmtohers did you have that were an active influence in your life?

I was thinking about this early this morning. I was lucky enough to have my fathers mother until the age of 12 as a constant influence, we moved and I had my mothers mother from that point until the age of about 23.

THEN I was a lucky person to have my husbands Grandmother until just over a year ago!

They were all completely different and taught me different things. I was blessed.

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a great grandmother till I was 5. Only remember her funeral. Only had one grandma. She was a big influence. Saw her a lot, at least 2 to 3 times a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shellness
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 3:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I had a great grandmother too until about the age of 14 or so. I only saw her a few times in my life but she was very loving. Great Grandpa too. They lived in Ohio. All I remember about visiting them when I was little was the snow, the big house and cutting my brothers eyebrow throwing a coffee can and hiding in that big house because of it. Scared me, all that blood. You brought back a memory of my brother who died when he was 16. Made me smile. Thanks.

Why123
by Nancy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I can't say that either of my grandmothers were any kind of influence.  My father's mother didn't speak English so there was little interaction.  My mother's mother always lived far away.  I don't remember visiting her all that often.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this

My paternal grandmother whom I was named after and was really close to died when I was 7.  I was pretty close to my maternal grandmother and lived with her a summer when I was 18. 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

one (my mom's mom). I never met my real father or his family, my step dad's mom was mentaly undtable and liked to cause trouble so we avaioded her as much as possible.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

My "American" grandparents owned a farm some 30+ miles south of me and when I was a little girl, I remember (vaguely) spending time there.  Grandma was Polish and spoke with a pretty heavy accent.  Grandpa was German/French, had no accent at all but did say "Al You Mini Um" foil and "fill um" for film.  I remember Grandma loved to bake pies!  And she'd let me bake an itsy bitsy pie in an itsy bitsy pan along side her.  Grandpa loved to eat fried pigs ears.  We'd have these fried pigs ears triangles on our breakfast plate.  We always drank pineapple/orange juice in little juice glasses poured from a matching juice pitcher.  Their water was stored in a tank and I remember our baths were taken in like 2" of water.  Grandpa passed away in 1982; Grandma passed away in 2006. I remember visiting her in the nursing home the last year of her life.  She always seemed so excited when I'd come to visit.  I almost always brought my kids - Jessica was her very first great-grandchild and for a while, Johnny was the youngest great-grandchild.  Once we were shuffling with her to the dining room and she started to laugh so hard I thought she was going to fall over in her walker.  Johnny was wearing a T-Shirt that said, "Stop Reading my Shirt."  When Grandma finally caught her breath and we found kleenex to wipe her eyes and blow her nose, she told us she read Johnny's shirt and saw what it said - then she started laughing all over again.  lol. 

My Japanese grandparents, considering they lived in Japan, I didn't see very often.  I only met my Japanese Grandpa once, when we went to Japan for the summer in 1966 when I was 7.  The next time we went, in 1973 (HA! I never could remember if it was 1972 or 1973 but all of a sudden I just remembered I listened to "Kodachrome" by Paul Simon on the radio there and just Googled it, so it was 1973!!!) Anyway, my Japanese Grandpa had passed away the year before.  The next time I went to Japan, for a month in October 1984, my Japanese Grandma was still living.  She came to the United States to visit in 1976 but I lived in Brazil that year so missed her then.  My Japanese Grandma passed away I think in the late 1980s but I don't remember the exact year (nor what song was playing on the radio then, either.)

amylulu1
by Amy on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Awww, grandmas.  My paternal grandmother lived in SoCal, but she and my grandpa would always come home in June for the family reunion and then either fly or drive with my sister and me back to California for our summer visit with my dad.  While there they would take us on day trips to the beach, La Brea Tar Pits, Knott's Berry Farm, picnics, etc.  We would spend the night over there quite a bit as well.  Beautiful memories of my grandma!  I miss her and regret that I didn't keep in touch with her like I should have while she was alive. 

My maternal grandma was very different but wonderful all the same.  While my paternal grandma had 4 children and about 7 grandchildren, my maternal grandma had 13 children and a TON of grandkids.  But she had this way about her that made you feel like you were her favorite.  She was a fantastic cook and so soft and cuddly.  My mom and dad divorced when I was one, so she babysat me and my sister a lot.  I remember that she would always put Vick's Vap-o-Rub on me whenever I was sick.  Whenever I smell that smell I think of her!!  

I hope that my Mason and future grandkids think of me so fondly later on in life.  That would mean that I did something right!  They were the best a girl could have!!

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I had two. One that was VERY present and had no boundaries whatsoever. Another that I saw only rarely. I loved them both.

I also had a step grandmother who I loved and saw even more rarely.

I knew two of great grandmothers. One was kind of scary. One was as sweet as could be and I adored her. I didn't get to see either of them very often. The both died the same year. Both were 82.

KittyGram
by Becky on Apr. 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Sadly, my grandmothers both passed away before I was born, as did one of my grandfathers, and a step-grandfather.  My one grandfather that I did get to know passed away when I was six.  He was well into his 90's when he passed away (I'm not sure exactly how far into them, though), so he was always a very old man, during my lifetime. 

Maybe that's why spending time with my grandkids is as  important to me as it is.

(Ramona has "scolded" me for telling her that he was an old man - she thought that was mean of me to say that - but I was just trying to let her know that, although I can't run and play ball with them, they're pretty lucky to have a "young" grandma like me!  All I remember of him is, visiting him in the nursing home - he was always in bed.  He was too old to be interactive.)

louannwilkins
by Louann on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I had my great grandmother too until I was about 13.  I had all of my grandparents.  My fav graddaddy died when I was in 2nd grade and I remember him so well.  I was definitely the apple of his eye.   :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN