Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG, Flat Stanley is a pain in the keister!! UPDATE: Added Stanley pics today!!!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Did any of you ever have to deal with a Flat Stanley project with your kids?  OMG, this is ridiculous the amount of work involved in this.  

So the back story here is that my MIL received a large envelope in the mail at the start of the month from her GS, my Nephew (DH's side) in California.  In the envelope is Flat Stanley and a letter explaining the project.  Now mind you my MIL is 85 years old and doesn't go out unless WE take her out and usually she prefers that we do her shopping for her. 

The object of the project as she explained it to us was to take Flat Stanley with you, take pictures of your "adventures" write a little about it and send it back for the student to present to the class.  Well my MIL got completely freaked and was a nervous wreck about completing it wrong and since she goes no where had nothing to contribute.  We had her over here one day took some pics and was going to help her with it, but she literally was making herself sick with worry over it (she didn't want her GS to be disappointed), so we offered to just complete it for her.  

I went and picked up the project over the weekend, it's insane what they expect you to complete.  They want to know where Stanley was, went and did while he was here, both in picture form and written word (they suggest a journal). They want to know all about the state he visited, including the capital, weather, areas of interest, food, culture, history, "please include pictures if possible."  They literally suggest submitting it in Scrapbook form!  Who the heck has time for this?? My kids are grown, I worked with them on a bazillion projects over the years, never once did I have to ask a family member to do the homework for them. 

Poor DH has been working on a Powerpoint presentation on the computer for about 10 hours . . . he's officially in the swearing at the computer stage. 

I was a teacher for 10 years, but seriously have to ask . . . do they think before they assign a project like this??  No wonder my MIL was freaking out!

We finally googled Flat Stanley and you should see some of the projects submitted.  Sigh . . . I thought I was good at this stuff, but I am so done with school projects.  

Tomorrow I get to drive Flat Stanley to Plymouth and take his picture in front of Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower.  LOL

by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Yep, quite a long time ago. Forget which grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I have never heard of Flat Stanley, so I just googled it.  Yeah, that's quite a bit. 

But, it reminded me of a pic my brother took when we were in Japan in either 2000 or 2004 (don't remember which time).  

it's actually a toy Godzilla.  My brother still has it.  LOL. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kam013:

Did any of you ever have to deal with a Flat Stanley project with your kids?  OMG, this is ridiculous the amount of work involved in this.  

Tomorrow I get to drive Flat Stanley to Plymouth and take his picture in front of Plymouth Rock and the Mayflower.  LOL

maybe you should "accidentally" drive OVER Flat Stanley and then take a pic of him in front of an Emergency Room.  lol

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Sounds like a nightmare. I am glad I don't know anyone that would send me one of those things.

CMLaurie
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:43 PM

My boys didn't have to go through ALL that detail, but write as much info as possible and we didn't have to make it into a scrapbook either. It was fun for me but again I didn't go the extreme like the teachers obviously expect you to do. That is really asking way too much if you ask me.  Just my experience and opinion.  :)

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I'm so thankful my kids never had that project.  My inlaws sent us one from our nephew.  we sooooo dropped the ball with the whole project as flat stanley was forgotten.  lol

We did take pictures though and gave them to him next time we saw him...and told a long drawn out tale of how stanley didn't want to leave...lol  

We suck at stuff like that.  lol

Kirsten3
by New Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
My kids did this and he went shopping, salón,doctors and the park. My 17 yr old put it in his Keep sake Box. It was a great Memory.
kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Quoting CMLaurie:

My boys didn't have to go through ALL that detail, but write as much info as possible and we didn't have to make it into a scrapbook either. It was fun for me but again I didn't go the extreme like the teachers obviously expect you to do. That is really asking way too much if you ask me.  Just my experience and opinion.  :)

That's the thing we were not expecting all the detail.  When we finally got a hold of the project all I kept thinking was "why on earth did they send this to my 85 year old MIL who is basically a shut in because she refuses to go out much?" 

We've have numerous projects over the years and I always assisted my kids, made suggestions, bought materials they needed etc.  Diaramas, medievil castles, we even had to make a mini golf course once, only 1 hole, but it had to be USUABLE, so I am no stranger to projects.  I just didn't expect to have to travel all over the place with this thing! LOL

DH almost died when he read the "scrabook" suggestion!!

kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Quoting Kirsten3:

My kids did this and he went shopping, salón,doctors and the park. My 17 yr old put it in his Keep sake Box. It was a great Memory.

That's what we were initially doing with Stanley, the everyday mundane things.  We took him to Dunkin Donuts, tied him to my GS's kite for a kite ride, had lunch with GS, visited with our huskies, celebrated Meme's birthday, etc. Then we got the project description and was like whoa . . . .  LOL

Of course we are not sending it back with any less than a fantastic job, but we were a little taken aback to say the least. 

kam013
by Silver Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting kam013:

maybe you should "accidentally" drive OVER Flat Stanley and then take a pic of him in front of an Emergency Room.  lol

I just read that suggestion to DH and he laughed and said "only if we can leave him there." 

We thought about taking him into Boston today, as there is so much history there, but they are having the funeral for the MIT officer killed today and there are a ton of road closures because of it.  So we settled on Plymouth, at least he will get to see a little history.  I mean can you beat Plymouth Rock and they Mayflower for history??  LOL 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)