Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Gah! How does one knock some sense into the senseless child?!

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 30 Replies

So as some of you may remember my girl has been having a difficult time of in in college since last Spring. She has blown each semester since and this semester was the worst. Plus she keeps coming home all the time instead of staying at her apartment which costs more a month than our mortgage payment. Last week she decided she didn't have to go to class at all. I was so angry but, as usual, she wouldn't listen to reason.

At her counseling appointment this week, the counselor says. "How are you?" My girl responds, "Okay."

So I took it to her. And happily discovered that all of her issues are still being heavily influenced by depression and anxiety. I say happily because I was at my wits end. Now we have a course of action that might help.

But just now I asked her how she felt about not going on her semester at sea like she had planned. She said, "I kind of wish I had."

I'm like really? With you coming home all the time and blowing all but one of your classes?"

She says, "Yes. I think I could have handled it. It might have been better."

Gah!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM
She sounds very unsure of herself. Is she on any meds for her depression and anxiety?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Oh yes. She is on meds. She hates them but she is on them. I thought she sounded way too sure of herself. She got very sick on a different school trip and I thought she'd know she'd made the best decision for her right now given that she blew this semester and couldn't even be alone a lot of the time. I couldn't believe those words came out of her mouth.

It's this unrealistic I can do anything attitude that she has. And when she tries to do it, whatever it is, it blows up on her. She nearly died on the trip before. Gah!

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Who's to say which would have worked better? You never can tell. Hopefully, like you said, you can plan a course of action and more success can follow. Is this particular counselor not working out for her? 

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM

She likes the counselor but I don't think the counselor is doing much good. Given that she kept coming home this semester and blew all but one course, I'm pretty certain semester at sea would have been a worst disaster though.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe next time she will see the carrot at the end of the stick and work harder for it.  Maybe this will be a good reminder for her.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds liek sheneeds a different councelor to me. She may like the one she has but they may not be the best one for her.

Shellness
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

She just doesn't know any better. I hope it works out for her and you. She might have to take a year off or so to mature more.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I think she comes home because you are her crutch. Maybe make your self and home unavailable. Make her get out and meet people on her own without holding her hand. She sounds rather immature and spoiled. If I was pay $$ for a child to live that child would sure as hell not be coming home all the time. Buck up, and make her responsible. If you are paying for the classes drop funding, make her accountable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I guess I don't know the back story on this. I hope you're not paying for college and living expenses.

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

She will always be allowed to come home but at the same time she knows I want her to fly and be independent once again.

Quoting marchantmom06:

I think she comes home because you are her crutch. Maybe make your self and home unavailable. Make her get out and meet people on her own without holding her hand. She sounds rather immature and spoiled. If I was pay $$ for a child to live that child would sure as hell not be coming home all the time. Buck up, and make her responsible. If you are paying for the classes drop funding, make her accountable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN