Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

What's up? Cholesterol...

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM
  • 32 Replies

I went for a checkup - it's been 2 years.  They want me to take Crestor - I don't want to.  I want to try to get my Cholesterol in line without taking anything.  What I read is stay away from starchy foods.  They recommend plants and fish  to INCREASE your HDL level.   Anyone had any luck in correcting cholesterol through diet??? 

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM

For the first time in my life, my cholesterol was up 6 months ago, when I had all my blood work done. I had gained a bunch of weight over the past couple years. I told her I believed it to be connected to my weight, and if I lose weight it will go down. I just had the blood test today, will see the results next week when I see her.

I've only lost about 8 pounds, but I also didn't do the correct fast last time. I didn't realize you were to fast a full 12 hours before test. If it's not down, I will do more research on lowing it...without meds.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM

To be honest, I haven't bothered to try. I know I should but there are so few foods that I like, I refuse to give up the one's I do.

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I applaud your desire to try to avoid cholesterol-lowering drugs.  They have a lot of side effects, and the cure can be worse than the condition.  That said, in some cases, even the closest attention to diet will not be successful because of genetic factors.  So don't persist beyond common sense. 

What you SHOULD do, is have your dr set you up with a liscensed dietician/nutritionist.  For example, your statement that you should stay away from starchy foods is incorrect--or at least, not in context.

High fiber foods, especially high soluble fiber foods are EXCELLENT for reducing cholesterol levels.  They reduce the bad LDL's , and reduce the absorption of total cholesterol into the bloodstream.  Examples of these are oats, bran, barley, kidney beans, yams, and even white potatoes, as long as you eat them WITHOUT any butter, cheese, sour cream, or bacon toppings!

COMMERCIALLY MADE cakes, snack cakes, cookies and crackers are made with margarines to lower production costs.  Margarine is particularly bad for your cholesterol levels because it is a trans-fat, and trans-fats are a DOUBLE whammy.  They raise the bad cholesterols (the LDL's), and lower the goods (HDL's).  So it really is NOT the starch, it's what those particular starchy foods are made with, that is bad. 

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Good luck - I hope you were successful!  I am hoping to find a website that will give me some simple info to get me in the right direction.

Quoting EireLass:

For the first time in my life, my cholesterol was up 6 months ago, when I had all my blood work done. I had gained a bunch of weight over the past couple years. I told her I believed it to be connected to my weight, and if I lose weight it will go down. I just had the blood test today, will see the results next week when I see her.

I've only lost about 8 pounds, but I also didn't do the correct fast last time. I didn't realize you were to fast a full 12 hours before test. If it's not down, I will do more research on lowing it...without meds.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM

They told me 2 years ago my cholesterol was high - I have been too busy and stressed to deal with it.  I was hoping it would be better and it isn't.  I am going to give it a try. 

Quoting LadySaphira:

To be honest, I haven't bothered to try. I know I should but there are so few foods that I like, I refuse to give up the one's I do.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Thanks for the info.  Do you know of a good website?  Genetics is really not an issue.  Surely I can figure out what I am eating that is causing this.  I don't eat much in the way of commercially prepared foods - at least I do not think I do.  I will have to get serious with it and look into it and see what is good and what is not.   

Quoting sabrtooth1:

I applaud your desire to try to avoid cholesterol-lowering drugs.  They have a lot of side effects, and the cure can be worse than the condition.  That said, in some cases, even the closest attention to diet will not be successful because of genetic factors.  So don't persist beyond common sense. 

What you SHOULD do, is have your dr set you up with a liscensed dietician/nutritionist.  For example, your statement that you should stay away from starchy foods is incorrect--or at least, not in context.

High fiber foods, especially high soluble fiber foods are EXCELLENT for reducing cholesterol levels.  They reduce the bad LDL's , and reduce the absorption of total cholesterol into the bloodstream.  Examples of these are oats, bran, barley, kidney beans, yams, and even white potatoes, as long as you eat them WITHOUT any butter, cheese, sour cream, or bacon toppings!

COMMERCIALLY MADE cakes, snack cakes, cookies and crackers are made with margarines to lower production costs.  Margarine is particularly bad for your cholesterol levels because it is a trans-fat, and trans-fats are a DOUBLE whammy.  They raise the bad cholesterols (the LDL's), and lower the goods (HDL's).  So it really is NOT the starch, it's what those particular starchy foods are made with, that is bad. 

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM

This is an 85 page BOOK.  It tells you everything you need to know, and walks you thru the TLC--  Therapeutic Lifestyle Change.  Plus, it helps you understand at what point you may need drug intervention.  Good Luck. 

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/chol_tlc.pdf

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Nine so far is good so I am not much help .. sorry

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

A few years back my Dr. told me he thought mine was getting to the point where he should mention it. I wish I could remember the number, but I can't. Anyway, I took it serious and changed my diet. I added beans, lentils, avocados and yams to my diet, cut out fatty meat and walked like crazy. I kind of made it a game to try new recipes. I saw my Dr. a few months later and my numbers were normal. He was really impressed. It worked for me and I felt tons better. Good luck!

suesues
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:06 AM

No I have it high but I eat very well and perfect weight its in the genes my mom and brother have it too there are new studies that high cholesterol is not that bad as long as u have no other heart problems also try and lose some weight and get re checked

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)