Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Have you ever had shingles?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

Have you ever had shingles?  How bad was it?  My DD had it last year and it still bothers her with flare ups.  I have heard it is horrible.  She thought she had a ruptured disk and after I saw the rash she finally went to the doctor.  Does it ever really go away? 

by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucsch
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Yes, when I was 34 (after exposure to chicken pox from my kids).

Mine went away, and I haven't had it since (for 16 years). I think this varies with the person. I'm so sorry she had to deal with this! When I had it, it felt like someone was stabbing me over and over again in my left shoulder. I had a rash on my neck. The doctors gave me an anti-viral medication. I essentially got over it within about 3 weeks, but I know it is longer for some people and also reoccurring.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I have heard the pain is horrible.  She had it for about 2 weeks before she went to the doctor.  I knew something was wrong with her - but she has to keep everything to herself. :(   Recently it has flared up again.  She is too young to have to deal with something like this.  I am glad yours has not recurred.

Quoting lucsch:

Yes, when I was 34 (after exposure to chicken pox from my kids).

Mine went away, and I haven't had it since (for 16 years). I think this varies with the person. I'm so sorry she had to deal with this! When I had it, it felt like someone was stabbing me over and over again in my left shoulder. I had a rash on my neck. The doctors gave me an anti-viral medication. I essentially got over it within about 3 weeks, but I know it is longer for some people and also reoccurring.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Have heard it is bad,
Not had it thank goodness.
My sil had it & hers did go away after a long while.
Hugs to your DD ;)

coolmomma1968
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM
no but i have a chance of getting it as i grow older cause i had chicken pox when i was an adult.
LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM

I have never had them but as you know, my Daughter Adrienne has them right now..the poor girl is misserable with the pain if she does not take her tramadol like clockwork. She wass prescibed pain patches also but I am having trouble getting the to stick. (any suggestions?) Before she was given the pain meds, the pain litterally dropped her to her knees nd made it difficult for her to breathe. I hope she does not have any more issues after this crap goes away.

kam013
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:42 AM

DH had a mild case years ago at the same time he had walking pnemonia and mono, so obviously he was in rough shape.  At the time he was in his early 30's so strong enough to fight it off fairly well though.  Hasn't had a recurrence and he is in his early 50's now.

My Mom is still in the process of getting over a fairly bad case.  Almost lost her eyesight in one eye because of it.  Mom is in her mid-sixties, but healthy so this was a shocker.  For a while she was in severe pain and slept constantly (which I guess is a good thing) Doing much better now, still has a little trouble with her vision, but they expect her to make a complete recovery.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I haven't, Thank God. 

suesues
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

dh had them on back bad pain last long time after rash is gone, now there is a shot for it must be over 62

moroccanmommy
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I think that I do get shingles. I get the symptoms and I have flares. I get bumps in my hairline and then for like two weeks I have excruciating pain and follows the nerve. It's happened the last three to four years. About two to three times A yeAr.
Problem is is I never had chickenPox... but I had the vaccine.
Ginnygurl97
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Got them at 24, still get repeat flares at 30. Sucks, very painful. The best med for it is honestly Valtrex. Yep, herpes medicine lol. I'm in a rush right now, but OP, PM me and I can tell you more about triggers, tell tale symptoms, best and quickest relief options. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN