Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on Johnny ...

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 67 Replies

we just shared a brief IM ...

Johnny:  so the doctor told me the other day that I couldn't drive

me:  yikes.

Johnny:  I returned the rental car and I'm taking the bus
 me:  wow kiddo.  this really sucks. how inconvenient will it be to take the bus?
 Johnny:  1hr 8min,  40 min walking,  2.2 miles
 me:  oh for crying out loud.
 Johnny:  by car it takes 15min
 me:  anyone you could carpool with and pay for gas?
 Johnny:  I'll have to ask around I haven't told anyone at work anything about this
 me:  wow.  let me know if you need me to move out there so I can be your chauffer.  lol.
 Johnny:  lol
 me:  but really, i'm sorry.  this sucks.
 Johnny:  I'm gonna get another 20min of shut eye before I go
 me:  okay kiddo.  everything else okay?
 Johnny:  yeah
 me:  good.  go back to bed.  I love you!
 Johnny:  love you too

by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on May. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Wow.  That is hard.  I hope things get better for him.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM

That's a bummer.  Do hope he can find someone to ride with and hopefully no more seizures so that he will be able to drive again after a period of time seizure free.  Hugs.

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM

This breaks my heart. *HUGS*

suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 3, 2013 at 1:33 PM
4 moms liked this

It break my heart, too.  But, but even with the inconvenience, at least he CAN take public transportation and it gives me some peace of mind that he himself won't be harmed OR HARM OTHERS if he has a seizure while driving. 

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

This breaks my heart. *HUGS*

Esmrlda
by Esme on May. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Hopefully he can find someone at work that is just going that way.

caro100
by Carol on May. 3, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Dang. Usually patients must be seizure free for 3 years before Dr.s consider letting them drive. With all the liability that goes with saying they're safe, Dr.s frequently don't want to take the chance of okaying them to drive. I have a friend that was a truckdriver. He had to start dialysis and was going to do peritoneal dialysis so he could still drive a truck. After they got him started, Dr. Refused to sign off on him because there was a 10% chance he could pass out while doing peritoneal dialysis and driving. Never said this till after he started and then couldn't go back. Frustrating I know though.
KittyGram
by Becky on May. 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

It does suck, but honestly, I'm not surprised the doc told him that.  And like you said, there's peace of mind knowing he won't harm himself or someone else by driving.   

jabs54
by Jeanine on May. 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Wow, I hope he can find a ride.  Poor thing :(

suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM

In California, it's 6 months seizure free.  Johnny's already gone thru this once with his driver's license. 

But that sucks about your husband.  I'd check with your state to make sure it's 3 years (although I assume since you say so, it is).  and then I'd seriously consider finding another doctor. 

I mean seriously.  a 10% chance he could pass out?   don't statistics show that most accidents (with healthy individuals) occur within 10 miles of where you live?  That means none of us should be driving at all!  

Quoting caro100:

Dang. Usually patients must be seizure free for 3 years before Dr.s consider letting them drive. With all the liability that goes with saying they're safe, Dr.s frequently don't want to take the chance of okaying them to drive. I have a friend that was a truckdriver. He had to start dialysis and was going to do peritoneal dialysis so he could still drive a truck. After they got him started, Dr. Refused to sign off on him because there was a 10% chance he could pass out while doing peritoneal dialysis and driving. Never said this till after he started and then couldn't go back. Frustrating I know though.

KittyGram
by Becky on May. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Here in Illinois, it's either 3 or 5.  I can't remember.  But I have a friend that has had seizures in the past.  She's got great public transportation around her, though, and I think she's really not interested in driving again.  It's been more than the 3 or 5 years since her last.  

Quoting suzeebloch:

In California, it's 6 months seizure free.  Johnny's already gone thru this once with his driver's license. 

But that sucks about your husband.  I'd check with your state to make sure it's 3 years (although I assume since you say so, it is).  and then I'd seriously consider finding another doctor. 

I mean seriously.  a 10% chance he could pass out?   don't statistics show that most accidents (with healthy individuals) occur within 10 miles of where you live?  That means none of us should be driving at all!  

Quoting caro100:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)