Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am really struggling with something today...

Posted by   + Show Post

Definitely nothing like the usual post from me. VERY DEEP thoughts here today. I have a couple of things really bothering me today but, this is the big one. 

If a 20-something kid has been raised with ZERO religious education of any sort dies what happens to that soul upon death in his early 20's? I firmly beleive that kids have to be given the information and education. IF they CHOOSE not to follow whatever religious education they've been given then they've made the choice. They were given the information to make that choice. However, if they were never given the information to make the choice do they actually MAKE the choice or? And what happens to that soul?

I don't particularly mean any one religion so this isn't a Christianity thing. It could be satanism if that's what you believe in.

Is this something he pays for with eternity? I really feel it is his parent's fault and that he shouldn't pay. However, his actions were not exactly respectful of anyone but his self centered world
Did he get enough education in the world in knowing that religion is out there and if he wanted he could get educated? Is that enough to make the choice not to choose any belief?  

by on May. 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
KittyGram
by Becky on May. 3, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I understand what you're saying, but regardless, following any one God is his choice.  He's an adult now, he is aware of all of the religions/churches out there, and even if he wasn't "given" any God to believe in when he was younger, he knew even then that he had choices. 

Does this make any sense?  I feel like I'm rambling.....

I didn't go to church when my daughter was young. I started just before her 14th birthday, and I forced her to go with me till she was 18.  Then she refused.  When she was oh, maybe 24, 25, she started to go to my ex-MIL's church, which to me, is a very strange church (a Christian church, but with very different teachings than the one I belonged to).  She was baptized in that church, and I was happy.  To me, even though this was a very odd church, my daughter had made a commitment of sorts to God.  It didn't last long, as far as her church membership, and now she's very anti-church (I've seen her kind of "go along" with whomever she was dating thru the years, and she's married now to a man that grew up in Bosnia, amid the "religious" wars, which, as I've tried to tell her, were not about God, but about politics, but he grew up right in the middle of it, so I can understand his dislike of churches, but dang, she's adapted to his beliefs rather than holding on to what little she had of her own).  See, I'm rambling again!!!  My whole point is, when she made that commitment to God, no matter how short-lived it was, it was a turning point for her, and she did change her life for the better, even if it didn't include church for very long.  And in addition, she may be anti-church, but she is a very spiritual being.  I think it really boils down to her God being different than the "conventional" God, and being opposed to "religion" - I've always tried to teach her that there's a difference between being "religious" and being "spiritual". 

Quoting MamaSnaps:

That's kind of where my beliefs lie. My beliefs are right to me but, that doesn't make them right to anyone else. 

In my eyes he didn't have to even believe in the same God as I-but by not being given ANY God to believe in I feel he was robbed. 
Did that make ANY sense to anyone besides my warped logic?  

Quoting KittyGram:

I agree with Ronna. You could get as many different opinions as there are members in this group. We could each tell you what our beliefs are, and what our churches teach us, but that's just our opinions, and many of them. And really, who's to say any one of us REALLY has the right answer. One day, when we each stand before God, or whomever we stand before, we may all be surprised to find out that all of our churches had it wrong.

Marinefranksmom
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I am a devout Christian & a Roman Catholic and when I was growing up, in the 1950's, I was actually taught that people who were good still got to go to Heaven or wherever un-baptized good people go.  So I have always believed that even if you didn't follow an organized religion, if you were a good person and kind to your fellow man, your soul would end up in Heaven if you were baptized, or another type of Paradise if not.  We were taught that unbaptized babies went to "limbo" -a place like Heaven but God wasn't there.  We were also taught about "free will" which one should exercise on reaching the age of reason which we were told was about 7 years old - an age when you should know the difference between right and wrong.  If you chose to live a good life, you would not go to Hell & that God was always forgiving, even at the point of death. I have always believed this.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:29 PM
2 moms liked this

The way I look at it is that only God knows what is in someone's heart. What we have known or not known and what we have chosen or not. If that makes sense.

hugss
Take some *Time Out for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:43 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on May. 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I do agree with the others,
I think when a person that dies regardless of religion there is a sfe, happy place for them :)

terri-553
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I am most likey going to get hard for saying this,My hubby/I raised all 6 of ours,by taking them to all of the chruches here in town,Minus the Catholic church as we all know you have to be/Sent to all vaction bible schools during the summer.After,all now they are adults-chose religion if they so chose,

EireLass
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

By the age of 20, he has recieved information.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I am Christian, but my thoughts are probably not in line with much of Christian teaching. I think that if the young person made an effort to be a good person, even if he never heard of Christ if he were Christ-like in his caring about his fellow humans, then he breezes into Heaven.  If he continually does things he considers wrong, without feeling badly- no remorse. Then hello Flames.  If he continually does things he knows are wrong but then determines that he won't do them anymore- even if he gets hit by a falling piano that day- then into Heaven he goes.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 4, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I am not a religious person but I am spiritual I guess you would call it. I pray to whatever supreme being that may be listening if that makes any sense.
I do say God in my prayers because that is the name for him (her?) I was taught as a child. I agree with some of the other ladies, we don't know which religion is the "right" one. 

I beleive that if you are a good person and truely are sorry for the things you have done wrong there is something better somewhere for us.

coolmomma1968
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM

i tell you what im a christian and im going to church tomorrow and i will ask my pastor and relay it to you what happens to that person,ok?

terri-553
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We,took all 6 of our kids to all local churches,After they got to be of a certain age,They could pick a religion if they so choose,Some of them have some of them haven;t.I believe it is a very personal choice,Life is choices we all have to make,And I am quite sure some people will disagree,but it is okay

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)