Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

OMG! She actually listened to me for once.

Posted by   + Show Post

As some of you may remember, my girl has been struggling in life and college since last Spring. At first it was that she decided her meds weren't working anymore. So she just stopped taking them. She didn't tell anyone until her semester was ruined.

Then she insisted on going with her college group to India for the Summer. There, she got heat stroke and nearly died. She was dumped at a local hospital and had no way to contact anyone most of the time. Meanwhile the professor and her fellow students went on with the classes and travel.

When we finally got her home, she got sick again and nearly died again in a hospital here. This time with a severe liver infection that was likely brought on by them restraining her and keeping her catheterized for too long in India.

Each semester since then she hasn't done well. She's taken full loads, the dropped, or had incompletes in most of her classes. I really want her to finish up. I don't want her to drop out.

Still, I was so frustrate a few weeks ago I went into her counseling session with her and really put the screws to her. The upside was that I became aware that she is still depressed and anxious and that is why she can't perform like she used to academically.

She has always done well academically. She loves school.

Over all this time she has recovered somewhat. She went from being completely detached and not talking much, to once again, arguing with me, talking and so on.

So this week I asked her, what will change during the Summer session at which she had planned to take four courses. Or the Fall for that matter in which she plans to take five? I went over her finances with her too.

She actually listened though I didn't know it. She rarely listens to me about anything. I guess that's her ADHD but she has decided to drop all but one course this Summer. I'm so relieved. She is also looking for a job. This way she will find out if she concentrates on fewer courses if it helps. A job will help her keep busy while doing something fairly normal. Also if she suddenly gets back her academic brain that will be shown by doing one course at a time.

Of course we are continuing with counseling though I am looking at other counselors. I don't like this one. She doesn't seem to listen to anything but her own POV. And her prescribing doctor. In the meantime my girl will be spending far less at her college. Yay!

This makes me even more hopeful for her future.

by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Replies (11-11):
Esmrlda
by Esme on May. 6, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

yaaay I hope she progesses by leaps and bounds this summer. 

What a night mare to have that happen so far away from home and then again at home.  No wonder shes got ptsd!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)