Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Therapy pets

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM
  • 18 Replies
Do any of you have one? Pros/cons? I'm not necessarily talking service animal but we may eventually go that route. I'm thinking more along the lines of a companion with the training so it can go into hospitals with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 6, 2013 at 7:43 PM

No I don't,
But I think from what I have heard/seen they are fabulous.
Am sure others may have some thoughts.
Let us know what you decide :)

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:07 PM
I am thinking of having his dog trained as one. So she can go with us when we stay at the hospital, I think IVs will be easier, sleep, if I have to meet with the team of doctors he won't be alone. But I'm just on the fence at this point.

Quoting hugss:

No I don't,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I think it sounds like a fabulous idea & will help him I bet :)

Quoting marchantmom06:

I am thinking of having his dog trained as one. So she can go with us when we stay at the hospital, I think IVs will be easier, sleep, if I have to meet with the team of doctors he won't be alone. But I'm just on the fence at this point.

Quoting hugss:

No I don't,

jabs54
by Jeanine on May. 6, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I think it's a great idea!

momma-t42
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I think it's a great idea! Especially while a little one if yours is having treatments. I'm not sure what a hospitals policy is on it, but I don't see what the severity would be. Except for people who are allergic that are also in hospital.
I'm certain the potty breaks would be the main issue. But the encouragement it would bring your child would be the biggest and best pro
marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM
If it's trained as a service dog the only place it cannot go is into the cafeteria of any hospital. We will he rotating between Children's here in my town and MUSC and DUKE as of right now. Thank goodness I just bought a new SUV.
But we will not be frequenting the cafeteria because of the risk of infection. Also his two dogs are well trained and can let us know exactly when it's time to go. I guess just seeing how long the training is will be key to if we use ours or a therapy groups.

Quoting momma-t42:

I think it's a great idea! Especially while a little one if yours is having treatments. I'm not sure what a hospitals policy is on it, but I don't see what the severity would be. Except for people who are allergic that are also in hospital.

I'm certain the potty breaks would be the main issue. But the encouragement it would bring your child would be the biggest and best pro

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

What you are talking about it a Service Dog, not a Therapy Dog. A Therapy Dog is something you are providing as a volunteer to other patients of a faciility. Where this is strictly for your son, it is a Service Dog. A Service Dog can go into the hospital cafeteria. There are more restrictions placed on a Therapy Dog. They both require different types of training. There is no certification for a Service Dog. A Therapy Dog must pass a 15 part test.

marchantmom06
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:40 AM
The hospital here calls them therapy dogs. He doesn't have a condition that would require a service animal. What you are calling a therapy animal they call volunteer visitors.
This animal would indeed have to pass a very detailed set of testing.

Quoting EireLass:

What you are talking about it a Service Dog, not a Therapy Dog. A Therapy Dog is something you are providing as a volunteer to other patients of a faciility. Where this is strictly for your son, it is a Service Dog. A Service Dog can go into the hospital cafeteria. There are more restrictions placed on a Therapy Dog. They both require different types of training. There is no certification for a Service Dog. A Therapy Dog must pass a 15 part test.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on May. 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM

It is a wonderful idea.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I think it is a wonderful idea and as a nurse have seen it work wonders with patients and especially the young and the elderly.  Even the volunteer visitor dogs make a big difference.  Do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)