Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

I'm reading a fascinating book!

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

Having driven from Kansas City to Davis, CA in both 2011 and 2012, I took I-29 north from KC to near Omaha, then I-80 across Nebraska, into Wyoming, across Utah and Nevada to Reno, at the base of the Sierra Nevada, then up and down, across that mountain range, to Sacramento then Davis.  I have always been a fan of the Little House books (read pioneers) and, after finishing the latest Stephanie Plum novel, ran out of reading material.  I stumbled across a book called Martha of California, a story of a young girl who travels from Illinois to California in the 1850s by covered wagon with her family.  But I wanted more.  I recently found the book "The California Trail: An Epic with Many Heroes" by George Stewart. I'm 1/3 through it and can hardly put it down! It's predominantly of the struggles to get to California beginning in 1841. 

I tell you what, if I thought it was "hard" to drive from KC to CA in 2 days, sleeping in a motel with hot running water, I can not begin to imagine doing so in a covered wagon, which could take 6 months.  

Anyway, it is a very interesting book to me and probably more so because I've traveled across the similar route, albeit by car, and many landmarks I recognize!  Now I'm itching to take a more leisurely drive that way but stopping at the numerous Historical Markers I chose to pass up the first couple times!

by on May. 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 10, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Don't you just love it when you are reading a book that you can't stand to put down?  Oh how I love that!!  I am going to write down that title and check it out.  It sounds interesting and I love reading!!  Thanks Ronna   :)

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I bet I would love this book. Thanks for the recommendation.

KittyGram
by Becky on May. 11, 2013 at 12:12 AM

That Martha of California sounds a lot like a book I read to my grandkids last year, but this one was a kids' book, and it was called Rachel's Journal.  Very good book as well.

I just finished the last Stephanie Plum book Wednesday.  It's bittersweet!!!  I can't wait till November when #20 is supposed to come out.  This afternoon, I started one by Dean Koontz, who I've enjoyed reading for 20+ years, called Your Heart Belongs to Me.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:51 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Glad you're enjoying it ;)

Why123
by Nancy on May. 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I find that topic interesting too.  I read a book about the Donner party that was really good.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

It is such fun to find books like this that catch your attention so well. For me it is Appalachian Trail books, not that I'd ever hike or camp, but I love reading about the area and the effort.

Lindalou907
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I know what you mean, it's so great to read books that have familiar locations. I just finished "Funny in Farsi" which was a true story about a little girl who came to California in the early 70's from Iran, it was awesome! But the best thing was the setting was right here in my part of Southern Ca.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I will have to check that out.  I am ready for a good book.  

jabs54
by Jeanine on May. 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM

It does sound good.  Thanks for the recommendation :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN