Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

What to take to stay overnight in hospital with sister?

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM
  • 28 Replies

My sister may be called at any time for a kidney transplant.  I called the hospital, and their visitor overnight policy is that as long as the patient is in a private room (2 days for a kidney transplant) they can have an overnight visitor. They weren't very informative, so I don't know what kind of accommodation there is- whether a cot or recliner- I hope at least one of these.  I asked if I should bring a pillow- trying to gracefully get more information, and was told to bring whatever I need to be comfortable.

So I am assuming a pillow, and a light blanket.  Something comfortable to sleep in, toothbrush etc, change of clothes,  kindle or book,  notepad and pen. My meds and vitamins, a couple snack bars.

What else do you suggest? I don't want to bring tons of stuff, mainly I want to oversee my sister right after her surgery and take notes for her later reference about who comes in and what they say, etc. But I know I do need sleep at some point so would like to be comfortable.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM

what you are listing already is a great start.  I was 100% UNPREPARED when I spent the night in ICU with Johnny after his surgery.  They had some sort of a recliner that pulled out to a twin bed like thing but the back never did recline.  Hospital pillows suck.  I was very uncomfortable to say the least.  When they moved him out of ICU into a room, there wasn't even that!  I had to take two plastic chairs and somehow managed to sleep that way.  It was even worse.  But after that 2nd night I realized he was in very good hands at the hospital and I slept at the hotel from then on.

Hugs to both your sister and you!  Keep us posted!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

You are a great sister!  I stayed with my dad and really did not bring anything. I knew better after that!  Phone charger, personal hygiene, & earphones for any ipod or notepad.  Food was another thing - our hospital cafeteria has odd short hours so there were a few days I did not eat.  Best wishes to your sister!!

Bmat
by Barb on May. 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Thank you very much. Yes, I suspect that the rooms won't be visitor friendly. The person I spoke with said my sister would be in a private room the first two nights, and if there were comfortable accommodations for an overnight visitor, I really think she'd have said. I figure after two nights I'll be wiped out anyway and my sister will be feeling well enough to  be on her own at least during the night.

Since when they call her we have to hop in the car and pick her up and then head to the hospital- a little over an hour away- I need to have a bag packed and ready to go. My sister says hers already is.

Quoting suzeebloch:

what you are listing already is a great start.  I was 100% UNPREPARED when I spent the night in ICU with Johnny after his surgery.  They had some sort of a recliner that pulled out to a twin bed like thing but the back never did recline.  Hospital pillows suck.  I was very uncomfortable to say the least.  When they moved him out of ICU into a room, there wasn't even that!  I had to take two plastic chairs and somehow managed to sleep that way.  It was even worse.  But after that 2nd night I realized he was in very good hands at the hospital and I slept at the hotel from then on.

Hugs to both your sister and you!  Keep us posted!

Bmat
by Barb on May. 15, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Oh yeah, phone charger and hygiene- good point.  I am taking my netbook and hope to be able to set that up so I can be online- but I'm not sure if it is possible. Wow- you didn't eat! This is why I thought I'd better bring some snack bars.  Not very satisfying but at least something. I also need to make sure I pack a notebook for taking notes.

Quoting Maddie24:

You are a great sister!  I stayed with my dad and really did not bring anything. I knew better after that!  Phone charger, personal hygiene, & earphones for any ipod or notepad.  Food was another thing - our hospital cafeteria has odd short hours so there were a few days I did not eat.  Best wishes to your sister!!

Maddie24
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Don't forget some earphones and a flashlight.  I had my ipod and listened at night when my dad slept.  Yeah - I just could not leave his side - I was really aggravated with that cafeteria! 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Pillow, blanket, phone charger and phone, clean clothes. soemthing to sleep in, snacks, reading material, pens, paper/notenook, personal items (brush, toothbrush, mouthwash, ETC), a couple puzzle books.

jabs54
by Jeanine on May. 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

That is so sweet of you to stay with her!  I can't think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 15, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I am one of the dinosaurs that has no ipod. *sigh* I really want to get something that I can put music on - I wonder if ipods are still being sold?  I thought about a flashlight.. maybe I'd better put a small one in my bag, too, thank you.

Quoting Maddie24:

Don't forget some earphones and a flashlight.  I had my ipod and listened at night when my dad slept.  Yeah - I just could not leave his side - I was really aggravated with that cafeteria! 

Bmat
by Barb on May. 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Thank you! I didn't know if I was foolish to be packing like this, so hearing that you and the others in the group would pack the same things is reassuring. I stuck the notebook in the bag, and now I'm trying to decide what books to bring- something I've read and know I'll enjoy, or something that I haven't read. I figure I'll be up all night reading and checking on my sister.

Quoting LadySaphira:

Pillow, blanket, phone charger and phone, clean clothes. soemthing to sleep in, snacks, reading material, pens, paper/notenook, personal items (brush, toothbrush, mouthwash, ETC), a couple puzzle books.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 15, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Thank you very much. I hope to have internet while there, if not then when I get to my mother's or back here anyway. Mom can't stay on her own, and my sister is her caregiver, so my husband is going to stay with Mom while I am with my sister, and then he'll be able to come home while I stay with Mom.

Quoting jabs54:

That is so sweet of you to stay with her!  I can't think of anything that hasn't already been mentioned.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN