Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My Mom is very sick. updated!!

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:46 AM
  • 29 Replies

I haven't been on much in the last few months. I have had a lot going on in my life, many changes, some good, some not so good. Thats life right?

We found out last week that my mother has Colon cancer. She has to have 5 1/2 weeks of chemo and radiation, then they are removing her rectum, then she will have to have chemo again.

I can't believe this is happening to my precious mother. She has been through soooo very much in her life, the later part of it with debilitating medical issues. She has a degenerative disk disease, common but hers is quite severe. She has had 6 surgeries on her spine to prevent her from being paralized. She has had both knees replaced. Now this.

She is one tough lady but I want to cry in frustration. I ache for her and can't imagine what is going on in her mind. She says she can't wrap it around in her head and I told her to don't even try!

Does anyone have any advise? Anything I can do to help her in any way as she undergoes this treatment plan?  I am also scared because I am a high risk of the same thing because of Crohns and this makes it just even higher I would assume. Its just a shock as she has never had any problems in this area.

This is my Mom and I when she was recently in the hospital, when they found this cancer.

I just wanted to say a big thank you for your responses and to let you know that even if I don't send a personal response back that I will be reading each and every response and appreciate your words, love, friendship, and faith. You are a blessing.

by on May. 20, 2013 at 4:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kam013
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Aww Shell, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom.  I honestly don't have any advice except to be there whenever you can.  

DH's nephew is 35 and is fighting colon cancer right now as well.  

My prayers are with you and your Mom!!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 20, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Oh, your poor mom.  I'm sorry.   Keep your positive face on, though, to help her get through this.  I'm sorry to hear you've been having so much going on  ...  yes, it tends to happen that way sometimes.

EireLass
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

You are always her little girl :o)

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I'm so sorry about your sweet mama.  Hugs to you!!!!  I think the only thing you can do is pray for her and just be there for her.  Just your presence is all she probably needs from you.  There will be some tough days where she may want you to sit with her and rub her head or just be a comforting presence.  Sending prayers your way.  Please keep us posted. 

atlmom2
by Susie on May. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM
So sorry for your Mom. My SIL is battling stage 4 breast cancer. Her brain tumors are their big worry. She is in a trial now in Houston as a last ditch effort. She is my age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I am so sorry to hear about your mom.   The most important thing you can do is just be there for her.   Just knowing you care will bring her great comfort.  I know when I lost my mom to breast cancer several years ago I too felt helpless, but  we had some great talks and shared many memories during that time which seemed to be what she needed from me.  I will keep you both in my prayers

Shellness
by Michell on May. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Looking at the pictures make me want to cry. I'm sure she looked at me just like that when I was a baby and also looking at them I feel like I am looking at the future where all I have is the pictures and not the mom.

Quoting EireLass:

You are always her little girl :o)

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Ok,now that I've wiped the tears out of my eyes after reading your post and seeing the pictures of you and your Mom. She reminds me alot of mine. :) The pictures are so sweet.

After my Dad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer (they gave him maybe 2 years when diagnosed) I think we all fell apart a little. It deffinitly shook my faith at the time.  My Dad opted out of chemo after only doing it a few times because it made him so ill.  And it really wasn't going to help stop the progression of the cancer since it was past the operable stage.   So he told the doctors the time he had left he wasn't spending it so ill from treatment(that wasn't helping)that he couldn't enjoy the time he had left.

Luckily your Moms is operable and you'll have her with you for many years to come.

The only thing I can tell you is just be there for your Mom.

IF your Mom is like my Dad shes probally very independent and dosen't like people babying her just because shes ill. 

Like the other ladies said just be there and follow her lead on what she wants and needs. 

ITs a scary thing to be going through for your Mom and the rest of the family as well. Will keep you all in my prayers for quick and safe healing for your Mom and the strength for you to help her through all this.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

These are precious pictures. I am sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis and the need for the treatment. She is in my prayers.

Why123
by Nancy on May. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I am so sorry about your mom.  The only thing you can do is just be there.  I will be praying for you guys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)