Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Denim

Posted by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 19 Replies

Today is the birthday of denim.  Do you like to wear jeans or other denim items?

A few facts about denim:

1. Jacob Davis, a tailor in Reno, Nevada, came up with the idea of riveted pants in response to a customer whose pockets kept ripping. He feared someone might steal his idea and recruited Levi Strauss, owner of dry goods wholesaler Levi Strauss & Co., as a business partner. They obtained a patent on May 20, 1873.

2. Denim jeans -- or trousers, waist overalls or dungarees -- started out as work-wear for hard labor in mines, factories and fields. By the 1980s, as high fashion brands began to introduce the concept of designer jeans, the shape and fit began to slim down.

3. Consumers in the United States buy approximately 450 million pairs of jeans every year.

4. On average, U.S. consumers have seven pairs of jeans in their wardrobe, according to Cotton Incorporated.

5. Environmental awareness has pushed denim laundries to improve techniques for bleaching and coating jeans to give them different looks, Corrente said. Where lots of water, aggressive washing and sandpaper was once the norm for creating that worn vintage look, lasers and and ozone gas cameras are now being used to minimize water waste and chemical runoff.

6. This year's trends are marked by a hybrid appreciation for fads of other eras. You're as likely to see someone rocking the heavy raw denim popular among '60s bikers and rebellious youth, an '80s-inspired high-waisted, flower print, or the acid-washed, ripped-up grunge look of the '90s.

by on May. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I LOVE denim. I wear jeans most of the time.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I wear jeans every day! And have several blouses and shirts made of light weight denim. Its such a comfortable fabric to wear.

And I remember when I was in elem. school only the boys from the farms were allowed to wear jeans to school. If your family didn't live on a farm or you weren't considered low income back then, the boys had to wear dress pants and button down shirts tucked in with a belt. And girls always had to wear skirts or dresses. Up until I was in high school the only time girls could wear pants was if it was really cold outside and then they had to be worn under a dress.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I mostly live in jeans unless I have to dress up and then I usually wear slacks.  I like the ease of care of denim, wash and wear with no ironing required.

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM

LOVE denim....I wear jeans all the time    :)

Maddie24
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Yes - I remember when jeans were not allowed.  Thankfully by the time I was in my teens we were all wearing them.  I like jeans - you can dress them up or dress them down. 

LEK19
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM

When it comes to jeans, I am a Levi's girl. I would wear the men's button-down traditional ones by choice when I was younger. With Levi's I could find jeans that fit me the best and I felt the most comfortable in. Now I don't know if they are all that much stylish, but I have some women's Levi's.

I did wear a few Calvin's back in the day.

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on May. 20, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Not so much jeans, except black ones, but I have several denim jackets, all embellished as I love my fancy stuff. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I love denim
I wear jeans & jean shorts all the time :)

suesues
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I love them esp black ones but not to comfortable after i turned 50

boys2men2soon
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I love Denim!!!   I would wear denim all the time if I could (I can't at work).  Jeans, capri's shorts, denim jackets...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)