See what CafeMoms are saying about saving time this holiday season..
Today is the birthday of denim. Do you like to wear jeans or other denim items?
A few facts about denim:
1. Jacob Davis, a tailor in Reno, Nevada, came up with the idea of riveted pants in response to a customer whose pockets kept ripping. He feared someone might steal his idea and recruited Levi Strauss, owner of dry goods wholesaler Levi Strauss & Co., as a business partner. They obtained a patent on May 20, 1873.
2. Denim jeans -- or trousers, waist overalls or dungarees -- started out as work-wear for hard labor in mines, factories and fields. By the 1980s, as high fashion brands began to introduce the concept of designer jeans, the shape and fit began to slim down.
4. On average, U.S. consumers have seven pairs of jeans in their wardrobe, according to Cotton Incorporated.
5. Environmental awareness has pushed denim laundries to improve techniques for bleaching and coating jeans to give them different looks, Corrente said. Where lots of water, aggressive washing and sandpaper was once the norm for creating that worn vintage look, lasers and and ozone gas cameras are now being used to minimize water waste and chemical runoff.
6. This year's trends are marked by a hybrid appreciation for fads of other eras. You're as likely to see someone rocking the heavy raw denim popular among '60s bikers and rebellious youth, an '80s-inspired high-waisted, flower print, or the acid-washed, ripped-up grunge look of the '90s.