Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thoughtfulness Starts a Chain Reaction of Kindness

Posted by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Thoughtful Waiter Donates Tips to Oklahoma Tornado Victims & Starts Chain Reaction of Kindness

by Lindsay Mannering

ok tornado tipsPeople are in the giving spirit, you guys, so better get while the gettin's good. Er, rather, give while the giving's good. The latest in awesome-tips-news comes from a Red Lobster waiter in Oklahoma. After the devastating tornado, the 30-year-old server decided to donate all his tips Monday night toward relief efforts.

Lo and behold, customers stepped up to the plate. Big time.

The waiter, @OSUfreak82, tweeted that some generous diners left a $220 tip on a $158 meal. And according to his interview with the Huffington Post, it didn't stop there. On Tuesday night, one couple wanted to buy another table's meal after they heard that they'd lost everything.

It's a blessing (as much as it is a shame -- why can't people be this nice all the time?) that tragedies bring us together. The outpouring of support for the tornado victims seems to be coming from every angle, big and small.

Will $220 make a noticeable dent in the estimated $2 billion needed for damage repair? No. But it's thought that counts. One small gesture like that can have an enormous trickle-down effect.

Just like this $1,000 tip left by a man for a waitress who said her family was Italian, but that she'd never been to Italy. I'm sure his benevolent spirit inspired other random acts of kindness. Same with this story of a regular customer leaving her server a 7,000 percent tip for being so patient with a mean-spirited diner. A chain reaction of compassion surely followed, in one form or another.

Generosity and kindness are contagious, and I'm positive you agree that there's no better bug to catch.

What random act of kindness have you given or received recently?

by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DesignGirl450
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Yesterday, I was down in Bellingham, WA to meet a group of women for lunch.  I was looking for change for the meter, but didn't have much US change, as I am from Canada.  There was a man plugging a meter behind me, and I asked if he had change for a dollar.  He said "How long will you be?" and started putting quarters in MY meter.  How kind.  He just said I was welcome and to enjoy lunch!  I plan to do the same for someone soon.

caro100
by on May. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I was in back of a lady in Dollar General and she had most of the money, except about a dollar and change, she was going to put back some items, but I just gave her the extra money she needed.

marchantmom06
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM
The other day my family was going out to eat at a rather nice resturant. On the way through the parking lot a dirty older lady came and asked my husband for $1.58 to buy a hamburger from a fast food resturant a few doors down. We laughed and said no way and as she was looking defeated we told her she was coming to eat with us. She said no no no that the burger was for her two young grand kids. So we told her to go get them. We took them all three to dinner. I thought the hostess was going to say something about their attire and smell but she didn't. Upon leaving we gave them a card for $500 for shoes and clothes and also told the grandma to call me next week about finding better living situation for all of them. I may never hear from that woman again, but those two hours they spent with us was well worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

What a wonderful thing for you to do.  I am sure that grandmother and the kids will never forget your generosity.  I have paid it forward, but never quite as generously as you were.  We have on more than one occasion picked up the tab for  for the customers behind us at a restaurant.  

Quoting marchantmom06:

The other day my family was going out to eat at a rather nice resturant. On the way through the parking lot a dirty older lady came and asked my husband for $1.58 to buy a hamburger from a fast food resturant a few doors down. We laughed and said no way and as she was looking defeated we told her she was coming to eat with us. She said no no no that the burger was for her two young grand kids. So we told her to go get them. We took them all three to dinner. I thought the hostess was going to say something about their attire and smell but she didn't. Upon leaving we gave them a card for $500 for shoes and clothes and also told the grandma to call me next week about finding better living situation for all of them. I may never hear from that woman again, but those two hours they spent with us was well worth it.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on May. 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Aww how kind of you :)

Quoting marchantmom06:

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 25, 2013 at 7:55 AM

While we were at the beach we all walked over to a little cafe to eat and someone paid our ticket for us....they gave no reason other than they just wanted to do it.  How sweet was that????

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

That was very sweet, Louann.  We try to do that every once in awhile, usually for someone who is a bit older than we are.  

Quoting louannwilkins:

While we were at the beach we all walked over to a little cafe to eat and someone paid our ticket for us....they gave no reason other than they just wanted to do it.  How sweet was that????

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I gave a really tip yesterday.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My client offered for me to take a nap at her house because I was so tired yesterday.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

That's amazing!

Quoting louannwilkins:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)