Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kitchen Talk for May 31st

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:35 AM
  • 23 Replies

What veggie or fruit do you see in the produce section that you don't buy because you don't know have to cook/eat it?

by on May. 31, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darmomusaf
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:54 AM

DD saw Mangos yesterday and I told her I'm not even sure how to tell if they are ripe and ready to eat yet!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

The more red they are and soft, they are ready.  The pit has a whole bunch of "strings" on it and the easiest way is to wash the mango then slice it like you would a peach.  They are super duper juicy, though, so be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand.  I hold it by the peel and just eat each slice down to the peel.  If you try to peel these first you will have a slippery slimy mess on your hands - literally.  Better than a napkin would be a dampened washcloth. 

Quoting darmomusaf:

DD saw Mangos yesterday and I told her I'm not even sure how to tell if they are ripe and ready to eat yet!

LEK19
by Group Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM

If I see something I want to try, I just search on line for how to use it. I read about things I would like to try but can't always find them up here! 

KittyGram
by Becky on May. 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I've cooked eggplant, but it's been a very long time, and every time I'm in the produce area, I think, "Okay, THIS week I'll look up recipes using eggplants, and I'll buy one next week," but it hasn't happened yet.  Same with beets.  I grew up having two huge gardens, my mom canned everything.  Pickled beets were my favorite back then.  I tried to cook beets (boiling them) about 15 years ago, they didn't taste good (I'm sure I just didn't cook them long enough), and haven't tried since.  Last summer, my daughter bought a jar of pickled beets, added them to a salad one evening when I was there, and they tasted sooooooo good!!!!  I really need to learn how to pickle beets!!! 

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

rhubarb

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I love beets!!!!   :)

Quoting KittyGram:

I've cooked eggplant, but it's been a very long time, and every time I'm in the produce area, I think, "Okay, THIS week I'll look up recipes using eggplants, and I'll buy one next week," but it hasn't happened yet.  Same with beets.  I grew up having two huge gardens, my mom canned everything.  Pickled beets were my favorite back then.  I tried to cook beets (boiling them) about 15 years ago, they didn't taste good (I'm sure I just didn't cook them long enough), and haven't tried since.  Last summer, my daughter bought a jar of pickled beets, added them to a salad one evening when I was there, and they tasted sooooooo good!!!!  I really need to learn how to pickle beets!!! 

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I've seen cactus in the produce department and just wonder what it would taste like.DD has cooked it,Ibelieve she battered it and fried it,Kali said it tasted good.  I'm not sure if I brave enough to try it.lol

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Rhubarb is one of my favorite things though I don't buy it as we have our own.  Super easy to work with and so versatile from a simple sauce, to cakes, breads, crisps, pies and you name it.  Rhubarb is a root and the red stalks grow up from there and you just pull them when they reach the desired height.  Regrows and you do it again.  They go dormant in the winter and then up they come in the spring.  One root lasts for years and years and keeps spreading.  

Quoting louannwilkins:

rhubarb

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I never buy pomeganites.  I remember eating the seeds out of them as a kid but I have no idea of what to do with them now.  I do buy the juice of them in a bottle.

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I LOVE LOVE pomegranates!!  I just showed a couple in the gro store how to do them a few days ago.  I told them I didn't usually see them this time of year!! lol  They are SO good.  We fight over them here.  lol  You just take a knife and score the skin in 4 or 5 places.  Plunge the fruit in a big bowl of water and pull it open.  Get all the delicious seeds out and eat!!!  lol   :)

Quoting mac1940:

I never buy pomeganites.  I remember eating the seeds out of them as a kid but I have no idea of what to do with them now.  I do buy the juice of them in a bottle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)