Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Michigan ladies, help!

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

Things for Isaiah and his family are a lot worse than I realized. The easiest way to do this is to make a list so here it is:

1. Isaiah's mom had to quit her job to care for him. There ae two othe boys ages 9 and 3 besides Isaiah. She gets only $200 (or a little over) in food stamps and medical. She is trying for housing help.
  2. Right now, they are living with my SIL. They are not supposed to be there because of the size of the apartment my SIL lives in but they have no where else to go.
  3. My SIL  was abandoned by her STB X and has absolutly no income because he insisted she be a housewife. He completey drained their bank acount when he left, leaving her literally pennyless. The only way she herself has a place to live is because the management company threatened to sue her STBX if he did not continue to pay the rent untill the lease is up at the end of June. She will then be homeless herself and is planning to go live with her DD in North Carolina.
  4. Isaiah can be off his oxygen during the day if he is at home but must be on it at night and they are about to get their electric shut off. They can't get help with the bill because Danelle (the mom) and the kids aren't even supposed to be there.
  5. SIL has received no spoucal suport and is still waiting to go to court for an order, right now she is awaiting a mediation date. Her STBX mysteriously was "injured" at work 3 days after she filed for divorce and support.
  6. They do not have enough food, even with the aide of food panties. SIL and Danelle often go without eating for the sake of the kids.
  7. SIL is trying to sell  things (car, antiques) but is not having luck.
  8. The A/C in Danelle's car is out and it makes it difficult for the baby to breathe when he is in it, they cannot afford repairs. 

Any suggests on where they get help ? They live in Southgate if that matters. How could I go about setting up a fund at a bank for Isaiah with me being in NY? Our entire extended family have been helping as much as we can but we are all at the point whre we are pretty much tapped out ourselves mow.

by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Contact channel 7 Call For Action! 

Contact the Call For Action Team by calling (248) 827-3362 Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. with consumer complaints.

Read more:
http://www.wxyz.com/subindex/money/consumer/call_for_action#ixzz2UtUUQLcp

suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Have they tried contacting a local TV station?  Here in KC they have segments when people are down on their luck.  Can't both SIL and Danielle get more food from the food pantries? 

LadySaphira
by Lisa on May. 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I'll suggest it to my SIL next time I talk to her but IDK if she will be willing.

Danelle and the kids are not even supposed to be living with her because of the size of the place she lives in.

Quoting cjsix:

Contact the Call For Action Team by calling (248) 827-3362 Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. with consumer complaints.

Read more:

LEK19
by Group Admin on May. 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel for you in your concern for your family. These are tough transition times for them. They are so lucky to have a loving family! 

Does the hospital where he was born have any charitable organizations there? There should be someone there that can point you in the right direction or know of someone who could help you.

I have never done such a thing before so I am not much help there. Maybe start with your bank and they may know how or at least help you get started - especially if they have a branch bank where they live. Good Luck! 

cjsix
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM

The point is they may be able to help them find a place where they can ALL live and help make sure they have what they need for all of them.

Quoting LadySaphira:

I'll suggest it to my SIL next time I talk to her but IDK if she will be willing.

Danelle and the kids are not even supposed to be living with her because of the size of the place she lives in.

Quoting cjsix:

Read more:

kam013
by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Setting up an account with a National Bank might be the easiest, something like Bank of America, not my favorite bank, but the only one that comes to mind.

Getting their story out is probably the best thing they can do given the circumstances.  The more who know, the more who can help.  All they have to do is state it is a temporary living arrangement until they can 

Also, there are now online sites that can be used for direct fundraising.  I know someone mentioned one in the fundraising thread here in MWAK . . .  Script or something like that.  That might work for you as well.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on May. 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM

but you mentioned SIL's lease is up at the end of June anyway.  I'd still encourage Danielle to contact a TV station.  And as someone else mentioned, Danielle and the kids is a temporary situation right now.

Quoting LadySaphira:

Quoting cjsix:

Read more:

mac1940
by Mary Ann on May. 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Don't they qualify for state aid?  If neither of the adults are working and there are kids, and most especially a sick child, in Washington they would qualify for welfare assistance, including rent, medical benefits, and help in getting employment.  

louannwilkins
by Louann on May. 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I feel so bad for them!!!!  I sure hope you're able to get some help or talk to someone who can help. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jun. 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Big hugs to you all hon,
I hope some of the ideas the others have shared will help.
Please let us know what happens & keep us updated.
Tons of loving thoughts & prayers for all :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)