Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Esmes adventures in beekeeping. (pic heavy)

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM
  • 39 Replies

A few weeks ago I added my second deep. This second deep is for winter storage.  The honeybees use it to raise brood and store their winter supply of honey.  I wanted to go in and see what progress they have made in the past two weeks.   Getting my smoker ready.

Smoking the entrance to let the guard bees know I am there and coming in. 

Lifting on the top board.

Only two frames had honey on it. The rest were still empty.  I was surprised that they were almost full.  It was very impressive since they have only had two weeks to work on it.  This frame is all honey.

Another frame from the second or top deep.  Looks good! Honey and capped brood.

Took the top deep off and going down into the bottom deep and original nucleus. This is where the queen and the nest is.  Smoking them to let them know I am going in.  The smoke will make them go down into the frames so I can clean up the propolis they have made on top of the frames so that I can manipulate the frames better. Looks good,

It looks to me where the dark spaces are, are where there were recently hatched  bees.  I did see some Larvae. I did not go into the nest where the queen is. I was mainly looking for any sign of disease.

Everything looks good and I am happy with their progress.  I will leave them bee and check in on them in about 3 to 4 weeks.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Wow, that is quite the process.  And when do you process the honey?  Will you sell it?  I am finding this whole process very interesting, so keep the lessons coming.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I will need to add a queen excluder and two more supers depending on how fast the second deep gets. The queen excluder have holes too small for the queen to fit through so she wont go up there and lay eggs. Then two supers will be the honey that I will keep.  Yes I will sell it to friends and acquaintance's. I already tasted it and it is really good.  A light color and it seems to have a citris splash. I  Would like to make the money back that I spent on all this adventure.

Quoting mac1940:

Wow, that is quite the process.  And when do you process the honey?  Will you sell it?  I am finding this whole process very interesting, so keep the lessons coming.

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Looks like they've settled in really well and already producing quite a bit of honey.  Congratulations.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM

You are doing such a good job, I'm impressed!

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Yes I was surprised.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

Looks like they've settled in really well and already producing quite a bit of honey.  Congratulations.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Thank you darlin!

Quoting jabs54:

You are doing such a good job, I'm impressed!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Those are great pics!!!

You are super cute in your bee keeper stuff!

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:54 PM

LOL thanks, a bee tried to sting me on my hand through my glove.  Didnt work!

Quoting Cindy18:

Those are great pics!!!

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM

When you said not for the weak of stomach, I thought you had been stung A LOT and were posting pics!

Quoting Esmrlda:

Quoting Cindy18:

Those are great pics!!!

~~CINDY

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Oh no, just for those that dont like bees and bugs and stuff.  I guess I could take that out of the title.  I could see how one could think that.

Quoting Cindy18:

When you said not for the weak of stomach, I thought you had been stung A LOT and were posting pics!

Quoting Esmrlda:

Quoting Cindy18:

Those are great pics!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)