Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

My sleep test is tonight. update

Posted by   + Show Post

I was just called, and the sleep test will be tonight. If I need the second night, it will be next Monday. They had a cancellation, and I don't mind doing it tonight, only I hadn't planned for it and was going to be sure to get up extra early as suggested. But OK.  So I am going to get my shower and teeth and meds all done before I go over so I just have to change my clothes and relax, hehehe.

Update: Well the best part was being able to sit and read while the tech hooked up another lady in another bedroom down the hall. I changed into jammies, he hooked about 15 or so monitors to my scalp, legs, chest, face, neck. And that was it. I thought I'd be able to read some more, but it was lights out.

The room was furnished as a bedroom,  reasonably comfortable, with private bath. I brought my own pillow and little blanket. Didn't sleep much because I was worried about whether I'd sleep. LOL!  This morning the tech got me up at 5:30 and at 6 I was on my way home.  They'll call with results.

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Replies (51-60):
valkay
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

I am thinking every place does it differently. The technicians told him he had one of the worse cases he had seen.. My son will be sitting in a chair talking to you fall dead asleep in the middle of a sentence and start snoring. within 5 minutes he is stopping breathing then gasping for breath without waking up. and the straight A Honor roll kid ( he is now in his 30's) does not use his machine..In spite of the fact that dil  cousin in law died at 28 and the only thing the coroner could come up with for a cause is sleep apnea

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM
He knows.

Quoting KittyGram:

It's very dangerous to leave sleep apnea untreated.  It can increase blood pressure, cause diabetes, depression, and increases the chance of heart attack or stroke. 

Quoting atlmom2:

That's him.

Quoting Bmat:

One of the signs of sleep apnea according to the doctor I consulted is loud snoring. If it can be heard in another room or another floor, for example.

Quoting atlmom2:

I wish dh would get one. I know hw has sleep apnea and he flat out refuses to get one. His snoring would wake the dead.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I'm sorry they didn't get enough information on your first one. I hope I don't need to go in for a repeat of the test. I know I'll have to have it done again to test devices, if it seems I need a device that is.

Quoting KittyGram:

Sounds just like mine!  I had my first one in early July last year (I think), and the second one in late July.  I slept horribly the first night, and they didn't get enough information to do both parts of the study that night.  

They had asked me what time I needed to get out the door in the morning, I told them 6:15.  They woke me up at 7:50 - I'm supposed to be at work at 8:00!!!  I called the boss, told him I'd be late.  Ended up going home anyway about 2 hours after getting to work.

I scheduled the 2nd one for a Friday night - figures I slept incredibly well that night!!!!  

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Oh my! He should use his machine! 

Quoting valkay:

I am thinking every place does it differently. The technicians told him he had one of the worse cases he had seen.. My son will be sitting in a chair talking to you fall dead asleep in the middle of a sentence and start snoring. within 5 minutes he is stopping breathing then gasping for breath without waking up. and the straight A Honor roll kid ( he is now in his 30's) does not use his machine..In spite of the fact that dil  cousin in law died at 28 and the only thing the coroner could come up with for a cause is sleep apnea

KittyGram
by Becky on Jun. 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, they told me up front to expect night #2, but that they'd do their best to get it all in one night.  They also let me take some PM meds.  First time, I just took Tylenol PM, which I take every now and then for pain, anyway, but it really didn't help that night (of all nights, it had to be THAT night that they didn't work!).  Second time, my doc had given me a sample of something (I don't remember what it was, Lunesta, maybe?), and it's possible that helped a lot, but I know the machine is responsible for most of that successful night! 

Quoting Bmat:

I'm sorry they didn't get enough information on your first one. I hope I don't need to go in for a repeat of the test. I know I'll have to have it done again to test devices, if it seems I need a device that is.

Quoting KittyGram:

Sounds just like mine!  I had my first one in early July last year (I think), and the second one in late July.  I slept horribly the first night, and they didn't get enough information to do both parts of the study that night.  

They had asked me what time I needed to get out the door in the morning, I told them 6:15.  They woke me up at 7:50 - I'm supposed to be at work at 8:00!!!  I called the boss, told him I'd be late.  Ended up going home anyway about 2 hours after getting to work.

I scheduled the 2nd one for a Friday night - figures I slept incredibly well that night!!!!  

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Sorry I missed this post earlier...have you heard back from the doc?

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Yes, I have moderate apnea, and I go back next Monday night and get all hooked up again to the sensors and fitted for a device. While I sleep, or try to, they'll change the settings on the device to help.  And I guess another lights out. >:-(

Quoting jabs54:

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Quoting Bmat:

Yes, I have moderate apnea, and I go back next Monday night and get all hooked up again to the sensors and fitted for a device. While I sleep, or try to, they'll change the settings on the device to help.  And I guess another lights out. >:-(

Quoting jabs54:

Why did the doctor order the test in the first place? 

Looking4Truth
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I had a sleep test done twice, and now I'm on oxygen.  At first they put me on a CPAP machine, but I have a phobia about things being put over my face so I couldn't wear any of the masks they gave me.  They even gave me a small little nose mask so my face wasn't covered at all, and still I couldn't stand it.  Now that I'm on oxygen alone and I only have to have those two tiny short tubes in my nostrils, everything is perfect and I sleep like a log!!  What a difference it has made in my life!!!  I hope everything works out well for you!!!  You'll sleep much better with some help!  Trust me!

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM

My neurologist kept suggesting it, and last time he wrote a script for it. I was very doubtful until I realized that there were times that I have had to struggle to stay awake and that maybe there was something to the idea. The neurologist had asked about memory problems, and I said yes I have them, but since that conversation I've been thinking that I really don't have more memory problems than many others that I encounter. But if something can be done about my sleepiness it would be really nice.

Quoting jabs54:

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting jabs54:

Why did the doctor order the test in the first place? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)