Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

When you drive, do you get lost often?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 50 Replies

Poll

Question: How often do you get lost when you drive?

Options:

never

rarely

fairly often

often

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 27

View Results

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:02 AM

I've always been really good with directions, so long as the directions that were given to me were accurate.  To this day, I can almost always tell which is North, South, East or West; however, I have to look at my hands to know the difference between Right and Left.  lol.  Plus, west is always west, no matter if you turn Left or Right.

The thing with my hands, I was told long ago to look at the hands.  The Left hand will create an "L" but the Right hand makes a reverse or backwards "L" so that's how one can supposedly tell if it's left or right.  But when I look at my hands, I still see an "L" on the right - yeah, I know it's backwards, but it's still an "L" to me! and I have to stop and think about it for a minute or two or three.  And that's why I tend to get confused.  lol.

When we went to California last summer for Johnny's graduation, my daughter had GPS on her Smartphone, and that was very handy to have!  Driving in an unfamiliar city at night not knowing for sure where you are going is not fun.  lol.  I now have a Smartphone, too, and will admit I rely a LOT on the GPS navigation to help me get where I am going, even though I pretty much know where I am going to begin with.

I can't remember every truly "getting lost" when driving. 

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Good reminder about the L and left hand thing, thanks. :)

Quoting suzeebloch:

I've always been really good with directions, so long as the directions that were given to me were accurate.  To this day, I can almost always tell which is North, South, East or West; however, I have to look at my hands to know the difference between Right and Left.  lol.  Plus, west is always west, no matter if you turn Left or Right.

The thing with my hands, I was told long ago to look at the hands.  The Left hand will create an "L" but the Right hand makes a reverse or backwards "L" so that's how one can supposedly tell if it's left or right.  But when I look at my hands, I still see an "L" on the right - yeah, I know it's backwards, but it's still an "L" to me! and I have to stop and think about it for a minute or two or three.  And that's why I tend to get confused.  lol.

When we went to California last summer for Johnny's graduation, my daughter had GPS on her Smartphone, and that was very handy to have!  Driving in an unfamiliar city at night not knowing for sure where you are going is not fun.  lol.  I now have a Smartphone, too, and will admit I rely a LOT on the GPS navigation to help me get where I am going, even though I pretty much know where I am going to begin with.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I'm sure most people don't get nearly as confused as me when it comes to Right and Left. 

Even on the keyboard, you type the R with your left hand and the L with your right hand.  lol

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting suzeebloch:

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Hm,  type R with left and L with right... oh great, I hadn't realized this, now I'll be confused too. LOL!!!!

Quoting suzeebloch:

I'm sure most people don't get nearly as confused as me when it comes to Right and Left. 

Even on the keyboard, you type the R with your left hand and the L with your right hand.  lol

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting suzeebloch:

I'

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I've also heard that the right hand is the one that you write with. But then this doesn't help lefties.

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting suzeebloch:

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I will make a wrong turn occasionally.  My problem is that I am usually in the wrong lane to get to where I want to be.  I had that problem on my way to Georgia back in March.  I was in the right lane looking for the turn only to have the exit on the left.  There was too much traffic to try to go across 3 lanes to exit so I took the right hand exit, went one exit up, turned around and headed back in the right direction.

atlmom2
by Susie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Yep, even with a gps. Was lost yesterday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

If I have clear directions I usually manage ok. It is in the cities that I get tripped up sometimes. Some cities are harder to drive in than others - depending on the type of traffic and how the streets are set up. 

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM

:(   I hate getting lost. >:-(

Quoting atlmom2:

Yep, even with a gps. Was lost yesterday.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I am afraid to drive on busy highways, and this is a big problem for me, that I have to make quick decisions while watching traffice on all sides.

Quoting Why123:

I will make a wrong turn occasionally.  My problem is that I am usually in the wrong lane to get to where I want to be.  I had that problem on my way to Georgia back in March.  I was in the right lane looking for the turn only to have the exit on the left.  There was too much traffic to try to go across 3 lanes to exit so I took the right hand exit, went one exit up, turned around and headed back in the right direction.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)