Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need your honest opinions please!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

I need your opinions please!

I really, really need to make some money without my DH finding out.  My daughter says I can sell the bedspreads and baby blankets I have made but I no longer have any confidence in myself so I was wondering what you think.  It took me about 3 months (and about 3-4 hours a day) to make this King size bedspread, and it would fit a California king bed too. It  cost me 125.00 in yarn.  Do you think people would be interested and how much do you think I can sell it for? Please give me your honest opinions.

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jabs54
by Jeanine on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, you did a good job.  It's not something I would be interested in though, sorry.   I would think people might be interested in purchasing baby sweaters and blankets, which would be less expensive to make. 

Momchipomkids
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I don't think someone would spend more than 125 on it.  I would post a pic of it and take offers.  Don't take less than 75 for it though.  Good luck!  I like the idea of baby blankets or cute knit headbands for toddlers and babies too.  They sell well online.  But it takes money to make it...

jdy9440
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:15 PM

It's beautiful 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I do agree with the other,
It looks really nice though
Let us know what happens ;)

Shellness
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Put in up for sale for 250 but with options to make offers. See what kind of response you get. Plenty of people pay more than that for a nice bed cover. Especially one that size. You could even start the price at 350!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:56 AM

One thought - I notice the cat on the spread.  Are you going to be able to clean it?  Is it machine washable and dryable?  My cats leave cat hair everywhere!  lol  If  you have to have this professionally cleaned (i.e., not machine washable/dryable) that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

I think the baby blankets, though, would be the better choice.

Good luck in your endeavors!  Are you saving up for something special for your DH?

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Agreed. On something that big you won't be able to get your time and money back so it won't be a good money maker. 

But small items (baby stuff) might. 

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

That would be too expensive for me.  I bought some pattern books for round baby blankets.  They make up very quickly, don't take all that much yarn and I call them bed doilies when I give them to adults because they look really pretty centered on the top of the bed.  I don't sell them but you could probably get $30 or $40 for one.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

It is beautiful and I appreciate your time and the beauty of it, but have serious doubts that most people would pay over the $125.00.  Have you tried putting your baby things on Etsy, a facebook site that sells baby and toddler things.  My dil is making little girls things, rompers, dresses, head bows, etc which she puts on Etsy and is doing extremely well selling them there.  I would think your baby things would sell much better and faster than this larger item.

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I agree with the other ladies that the blanket is beautiful but with the money you have to put out for the yarn and the time involved you would have to ask at least 200.-300.00 for it.  And a lot of people wouldn't want to wait 3-4 months for a blanket. But you could always put a picture of it on Etsy or other social net works and take orders stating the price and time it takes to make for differnt size beds.  And let them choose ffrom different color choices. You might be suprised of how many orders you get.

But I think the baby and childrens items would sell quicker also and they aren't as time consuming to make.Do you have the start up monye to make some items to have for sale or will you be making them as orders come in? That is something you'll need to think about also because if you put the time and money into making these items you'll want to know if you'll be making your money back plus a nice profit.    

Do some research online and see how many people are doing the same thing and what kind of prices they're charging and what kind of market is out there for your product.  You amy even want to take some of your thing to baby boutiques and specialty shops and see if you could sell them there?

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)