Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you have any family traditions?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 11 Replies

Do you have any family traditions that were passed down to you, that you in turned passed down to your kids?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my2kidsmom9498
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Tons!!  Foods we eat.  Songs.  Christmas and Easter traditions.  Celebrating mid summer nights eve. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Several holiday ones mostly :)

lisamarie1265
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Our big one is gathering as a family for Sunday dinner..as a kid growing up we would all gather at my grandmas for Sunday dinner my family and my two aunts / uncles and cousins...there were 9 of us kids, we always had such a great time. After my aunt and uncle moved they're family to Florida we still gathered but things weren't quite the same, when we got older my mom had Sunday dinner my family and my two brothers families.  And now my daughter Jessie does Sunday dinner for everyone it's a nice tradition. 

Amongst just my family we have many traditions especially at Christmas number one being putting the baby Jesus in his crib at midnight on Christmas eve, at that time we wish the baby happy birthday together as a family and each other a merry Christmas we exchange very small but special gifts as well. We've been doing this since our girls were very small. Our second tradition our Elf he was given to me as a child from my grandma.. He's very sneaky and at times mischievous he moves about nightly and no one ever knows where he will show up the next day sometimes he leaves small gifts of candy all throughout advent... Does anyone have an Elf, mine is very old and very special... He has been with me nearly all my life I got him when I was 5, I've had him 40yrs. 

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Of course but most of ours revolve around food.

New Year's Eve- Snacks and Appetizers

Brithdays- Birthday person gets to choose

4th of July- Hamburger and Hot Dogs. 

Halloween- Chili Dogs

Thanksgiving- Turkey with all the fixing

Christmas Eve- Pizza and White Castle

Christmas- Ham with all the fixings

jules8289
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I tried to but our dd doesn't have an interest in her parents or brother anymore to even develop an interest in family traditions for holidays, the food that goes with them and family ties. 

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM

A few, Christmas, Thanksgiving traditions mainly. Not many that came to me.

sdbcoach
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Foods are a must have at different holidays. My husband is English so at X-mas we have roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. My granmother's North Carolina pound cake can't miss any holiday. I'm in jersey so when any of my kids come home, the first stop is a local deli for a "pork roll & chesse." You'll know what I mean if you're from NJ!

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:27 AM

A lot of holiday traditions including activities and menus.  Even though we don't always get to celebrate them together, I dare say we all eat the same thing on those holidays.  All of my kids think that that holidays wouldn't be the same if they didn't eat what they always ate on those days.  Birthdays you always get to pick the menu.  It is harder to keep up traditions with everyone scattered around the country so some of what was traditional has now fallen by the wayside.  Sad but true.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM

My DDs are not married and I still have the holidays at my house- so I guess we are still tradition building.   I enjoy getting the family together and believe that gives each family member a sense of stability and love.  During the fall we always go to a fall festival and pick pumpkins.  We get together and carve them.  I am sure that will be a big memory for my DGD.  We have events every holiday and we get together on weekends for dinner to catch up from the past week or two.  I cherish every moment we have together.

GaleJ
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM
We had a number of them but have lost some. We always went downtown to the big Third of July fireworks until Chicago decided that it was no longer affordable for the city to stage it.

We have a little pottery "Birthday Guy." He's a little statue that looks a bit like Cousin It on the Addams Family. He is wearing sneakers and is holding a little birthday cake into which you put a birthday candle. I got it at our local resale shop right after our son was born and it came in handy since my son doesn't like sweets...at all, and so never wanted a real cake. We use it to sing "Happy Birthday."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)