Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do you wear an apron?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 53 Replies

My grandma always wore an apron to do housework and cook. My mom never did. I have started to wear an apron when I cook, since too many times I've ruined shirts by getting tomato or grease on them.

What brought this to mind was that today I was making a sandwich using mustard in one of those squeeze bottles, and I shook the bottle to bring the mustard down to the opening, and ended up with mustard all over my shirt- and the floor and countertop. I have the shirt soaking and hope that there are no stains on it. It didn't occur to me to put the apron on for just making a sandwich.

Do you wear an apron?

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I only have 1 apron now but I had several before the fire.  They are nice to wear when cooking.  I have to keep this one ready to go all the time.  lol  I need to break down and buy some I guess.  If my grandma was still here I'm sure she'd make me some.  :)

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM
3 moms liked this

I wear an apron some of the time.  I really should wear the one you tie around the waist, only I should wear it backwards, since it is my backside that I seem to rub by hands on.  

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

rolling on floor

Quoting mac1940:

I wear an apron some of the time.  I really should wear the one you tie around the waist, only I should wear it backwards, since it is my backside that I seem to rub by hands on.  

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I had trouble finding aprons that covered my front, there are bbq aprons and waist-tying aprons, but I wanted them more like what my grandmother wore. I got one at a food prep business that has since gone out of business. The apron is thick and white, so I can bleach it if when I get something on it. 

Quoting louannwilkins:

I only have 1 apron now but I had several before the fire.  They are nice to wear when cooking.  I have to keep this one ready to go all the time.  lol  I need to break down and buy some I guess.  If my grandma was still here I'm sure she'd make me some.  :)

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I also like to wear an apron when cooking because I like to hug the cats, and the apron helps keep the cat hair out of the food. :)

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I used to work in a Cafetaria and we wore sleeveless smocks to cover our uniforms while preparing and cooking the food. I used to wear them at home also but it got so I couldn't find them in a store anywhere so I stopped. But you bring up a good point I also have ruined some of my clothes because of grease popping or something staining them.  

My great grandmother used to have the oldfashion ones she made and they had the bib and skirt part..and my great aunt that I stayed with a lot always wore one when cooking or cleaning.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I don't usually wear aprons but I really should wear BIBS.  lol.  I spill all the time. 

Here's an apron one of my Japanese aunts gave me the last time I was in Japan.  Notice the incorrect spelling on the close-up.  The Japanese people are FOREVER misspelling things and it can really be quite comical. (and no, I don't keep the apron hanging like this in my kitchen.  lol.)

this is the front ....

this is the back ...

here's the close up ... lol

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

It has been a long time since I wore an apron.  I am messier than I used to be and should find my old aprons.  I also sit on a stool at the stove or the prep island.  It just makes things easier. 

robin7771
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

yes

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Awww! Sweet!

Quoting suzeebloch:

I don't usually wear aprons but I really should wear BIBS.  lol.  I spill all the time. 

Here's an apron one of my Japanese aunts gave me the last time I was in Japan.  Notice the incorrect spelling on the close-up.  The Japanese people are FOREVER misspelling things and it can really be quite comical. (and no, I don't keep the apron hanging like this in my kitchen.  lol.)

this is the front ....

this is the back ...

here's the close up ... lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN