Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

How would you handle this situation with your adult son? A long post. :)

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 22 Replies

I am truly sorry I have to delete this post .... but there are very good privacy reasons, why I must.

Thank you,

Diana

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
teachermom1212
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

He needs to get hospitalized and get his physical self straightened out. Then he needs to get his mental and emotional self lined out.  He probably needs long term therapy from a psychiattrist,but as his mom you can't do it.  He needs to do it for himself. Good luck mom it is a hard road, but it is his life and he has to make the choice.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I'm so sorry you're all going through this. You're in a really tough position. Sounds like he really needs therapy and for some reason my gut is telling me to mention that sometimes these things grow a life of their own. This issue with the medication may now have become his identity. Does that make sense? Is getting any physical exercise? Does he eat real food (not junk food)? Exercise is HUGE in combating depression. These things are so underrated. When we don't take care of ourselves, we feel like crap. It seems like he should really be closer to family to support him in a variety of ways.

kuntrylady56
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

What a horrible thing for your son to be having to deal with.And you also. Because with all addictions and drug problems it dosen't just effect the user it effects loved ones as well.

Has he tried going through drug rehab. They have ones that deal with people coming off of prescribed drugs that are having withdrawal problems.  My stepdaughter had the same problem coming off of some medication she was taking,I'm not sure if it was Paxil or not.  And she had to live in  resident as they worked through cleaning her system and dealing with the withdraw symptoms.  She said she couldn't have did without the help of professionals.

And I checked and they do have rehab centers in Oregon that deal with withdrawing from Paxil and other anxiety drugs.   It might be something that he needs if he hasn't already tried this route.

Will keep him and you in my prayers. Sending some (((HUGS)) to you.  

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jul. 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I think he probably needs more help than you can give him.  He needs rehab to go through withdrawal and probably long term therapy.  This is going to sound crazy, but one of your options would be to write to Dr. Phil asking for help.  Tell him just as you told it here and he is great with the help he gives if he accepts your case.  Are you convinced that Paxil was the only thing he was taking or was he mayb e comb ining it with some of the street drugs?  I truly wish I had some really sage advice to offer for a quick and easy cure all but that I do not have.  It will not be easy, that's a given, but he really needs inpatient rehab and prfofessional counseling.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Wow, Paxil sounds horrible.  I'm so sorry.  I don't understand why his doctors priority is not putting him in a controlled facility and getting him off of Paxil?  It seems ridiculous to expect him to suffer from withdrawal alone.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM

I do not know anything about paxil, but I do know about a child with depression and anxiety issues.  Each situation is very different, but one thing is always the same - they have to do this for themselves.  They are adults and have to make the choice everyday to participate or not - as much as we moms want to be there for them, we cannot give them happiness, they have to find that for themselves.  We can be there on the sidelines offering love and encouragement.  It would seem that your son really needs a good doctor to assist with the withdrawal issues. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:59 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Big hugs to you hon,
I agree with the others,
I think if your DS could get into some kind of therapy along with hospitalization to get off Paxil would help
Is that something he is willing to do?
Good lcuk & let us know how it goes :)

sabrtooth1
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Some things here do not make sense.  First of all, SSRI withdrawal may be hell, but it is a LIMITED hell.  No studies or reports indicate withdrawal lasting longer than 2 years.   Second, Paxil withdrawal can be mitigated by putting the patient on a different SSRI, one that is easier to wean.  And finally, the simple answer to SSRI withdrawal is to go back on the drug.  Which you said he IS back on the drug, so he should NOT be having any SSRI withdrawal. 

And SSI IS "disability", so I don't understand how he can be taken off SSI to go on "disability". Or why being declared disabled would remove him from SSI, which IS government help for adults who are DISABLED. 

I suspect that there is a lot going on here, and that little of it has to do with SSRI withdrawal.  A number of conditions spring to mind, including schizophrenia.  Your son needs a complete psychiatric workup, and proper diagnoses.  I doubt he will do that on his own.

If MY child were having such severe psychiatric symptoms that they were unable to work, they would be living in MY house, with the condition that they get continuous psychiatric treatment, and *I* would be going to the treatment sessions with them.  If they refused treatment, I would have them committed until they were stable enough to accept treatment.  If they were not accepted by the hospital, and refused to live with me under my rules, they would be homeless, like so many with psychiatric illnesses are, these days

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I have no advice that has no0t already been given but I wish you both much luck!

Miss_Diana61
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Deleted for privacy reasons .... Mods, please feel free to contact me about this situation if need be.

Thank you,

Diana

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN