Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone tried

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM
  • 25 Replies

SENSA?  This is the newest weight loss sensation.  You just sprinkle a bit on everything you eat and the word is you can eat anything you want as long as you sprinkle.  There is one you sprinkle on salty and one you sprinkle on sweet.   I have a couple friends trying it, one lost 14 pounds in two months and the other just started a couple weeks ago and has lost 7 pounds.  Supposedly it does not promise a fast weight loss but everyone knows to lose it slower is better.    

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM

No. I figure it's not really good for you like most weight loss products.

Why123
by Nancy on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I have heard the advertising but I have not tried it.  I only need to lose about 10 pounds so I am doing it the old fashioned way.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

There is absolutely no taste to it nor does it change the taste of what you are eating.  

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I've wondered about it. What does it do exactly?? Is it a appetitte surpresser?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Apparently it makes you feel full.  I notice that my one friend now never has seconds where she always used to - she simply states she is too full to eat any more.  However, she can and does eat whatever she likes, no foods are disallowed.  

Quoting Cindy18:

I've wondered about it. What does it do exactly?? Is it a appetitte surpresser?

DesignGirl450
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I haven't heard of it, and it sounds too good to be true.  

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I haven't heard of it either.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM

This is an excerpt from webmd:

Sensa sprinkles are food flakes made from maltodextrin, tricalcium phosphate, silica, and flavors. You sprinkle them on food as you would salt or sugar, and they enhance scent while adding either a mildly salty or sweet taste. 

Savory flavors include cheddar cheese, onion, horseradish, ranch dressing, taco, and Parmesan cheese. Sweet flavors are cocoa, spearmint, banana strawberry, raspberry, and malt.

All the tastants are calorie-free, sugar-free, and sodium-free.  

Sensa is intended to work with your sense of smell, fooling your brain and stomach into thinking you're full, Hirsch says. He uses the term "sensory-specific satiety" to describe the process by which smell receptors send messages of fullness to your brain.

"The flavors may make people focus on the sensory characteristics of food -- smell and taste -- and can actually cause a change in eating habits and behavior," Hirsch says.

A one-month Sensa free trial costing $9.95 shipping and handling, and a 6-month kit at an introductory rate of $199, are available on the Sensa web site. (The Consumer Affairs web site cautions dieters that the free trial is associated with an automatic enrollment plan, and incurs an additional charge of $89.95 along with shipping and handling if you don't send all of the product back within 30 days.)

What's the Evidence for Sensa?

The company's weight loss evidence is based on a few company-sponsored studies done by Hirsch. These studies have not been published in a peer-reviewed medical journal.

The lack of published scientific evidence on Sensa, along with a lack of diet and fitness guidelines to accompany the product, raise a red flag for some nutrition experts.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

This is from dietspotlight.com

Advantages

• Dr. Alan Hirsch who developed Sensa is a world authority on the sensory system.
  • There is a very detailed and comprehensive official website for the Sensa system.

Disadvantages

• This may not be a long term solution to weight loss.
  • Sensa currently offers a 30-day product trial via their official website, but the full price if you choose to keep the product is not disclosed until you enter personal information.
  • This weight loss system is not going to be suitable for everyone.
  • There are no before and after photos displayed on the official website.
  • This product may irritate your stomach. (See reader reviews.)
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:48 PM

This is from mayoclinic.com

So can these weight-loss products lead to significant, sustainable weight loss? The jury is still out on that question. Even some of the makers of these weight-loss products acknowledge that losing weight comes down to diet and exercise. It makes more sense, then, to skip the scents and focus on what's proven to work — reducing the calories you eat and increasing the calories you burn through exercise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)