Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Which is easier???

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM
  • 24 Replies
Having daughter in laws, or son in laws??
Mine are not married yet. I have girls and for me, I think son in laws will be easy.
Have friends who have younger boys and already so they plan to be mother in laws from hell. Do Mom's have a harder time letting go of sons, or can it go both ways????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM

We love our SIL  and feel so lucky to have him in our lives. Our DIL on the other hand keeps us at arms length and I can't seem to figure out how to change that. It used to really bother me, but she's that way with our daughters and my Dh's ex, so I try to not take it personal. She's very close with her own family so maybe that's all she can deal with.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't speak for other moms of boys but I can tell you from my experience its not hard to let boys go but what is hard is that a lot of times....actually most of the time with what I see....they boys end up being with the girls family the most because that's what the girl does is stick close to her family.  Now for me...my dil actually ex dil is here several times a week and we get along great.  She is family to me and I've always tried to be good to her.  I just think maybe like I said there could be resentment because the dd sticks closer to her family and maybe the moms and dads of sons don't look at it like that ya know?  I hope to be a good mil....like a 2nd mom....that's the way it should be in my opinion.    :)

atlmom2
by Susie on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM
We moved away so we were never by family. We are gonna move and or our girls so we won't live near them at some point.

Quoting louannwilkins:

I can't speak for other moms of boys but I can tell you from my experience its not hard to let boys go but what is hard is that a lot of times....actually most of the time with what I see....they boys end up being with the girls family the most because that's what the girl does is stick close to her family.  Now for me...my dil actually ex dil is here several times a week and we get along great.  She is family to me and I've always tried to be good to her.  I just think maybe like I said there could be resentment because the dd sticks closer to her family and maybe the moms and dads of sons don't look at it like that ya know?  I hope to be a good mil....like a 2nd mom....that's the way it should be in my opinion.    :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I will have one of each. My son married a few years ago. I always got along with her, but it was a very limited relationship. She has a few issues, and doesn't get close with others easily. But I like her.

My daughter gets married next month. I like him alot.

Then there are the families of the inlaws.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Aug. 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I have two DILs and one SIL.  I started  out not liking my SIL very much and thinking my DILs were nothing less than wonderful.  And while I think they are both really nice, we don't have the closeness I envisioned we would.  And probably a lot of that is because we don't live near either of them.  My SIL has over the years and has endeared himself to me.  Maybe part of it is because he lost his parents,  and we are the family he has left.  Both   B oth of my DILs have mothers they are close to, although they do not live near them either.   I always thought that because I had such a wonderful example to follow (I was very close to my MIL) that I would be the MIL exraordinare.   But we do respect each other and love the guys they are married to.  They are great mothers and wives and that is what is important.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM

No idea yet, LOL
Good wurstion though & will be interesting to see what others say :)

jules8289
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I love our SIL. I really like his parents also. I get to see SIL mother three times a year at the grandkids birthdays. Plus I see her at a specialty yarn shop in a nearby town. Our son who is unmarried always seem to end up with some psycho. They seem alright at first then everyone is wondering what the heck happened to her in her early years! lol  I sure hope he gets lucky with the girl he's with now. He says she's, "The One".  

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:45 AM

there is an old saying, "A son is a son til he takes him a wife, a daughter is your's for the rest of your life." DS has a great girl friend, but they spend lots of time with her family. DD is not dating anyone right now, so I'm not sure how that will go.

nanalyn1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

that is so true.... 

Quoting darmomusaf:

there is an old saying, "A son is a son til he takes him a wife, a daughter is your's for the rest of your life." DS has a great girl friend, but they spend lots of time with her family. DD is not dating anyone right now, so I'm not sure how that will go.

my2kidsmom9498
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM
My kids are not married yet. Dd is 19, ds is only 15, so I (hope) there are a few years before we have a wedding. But I was thinking of that saying that "My son is my son until he takes a wife, but a daughter is my daughter all of my life."
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)