Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

mom and dad

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM
  • 23 Replies

so ugh.  Since I came home Friday, dad has called me 3 times from the rehab center to check on my mom because she "isn't answering the phone."    She sleeps with her bedroom door closed (sometimes locked and I made her show me where she keeps the spare key yesterday).  My parents sleep in separate bedrooms.  Neither has a phone in their room.  Mom doesn't know how to use the alarm clock.  So I just ran over to check on my mom and of course she is just fine; but just woke up because she couldn't get to sleep last night.  I called dad to let him know and he said he had a hard time sleeping last night too.  both my parents are so resistant to taking anything to help them sleep - in fact when I told dad to ask the nurses for a sleeping pill, he said, yeah, but I don't know what the side effects might be.  I told him SLEEP is the side effect.  lol.  Jeez.  Mom doesn't want to take any sleeping aids at all (although she took them while in Japan!)  I told her then she needs to set her alarm clock - that's when I found out she's never used it before for the alarm!  holy crap.  lol.  Each morning she has been getting up later and later and subsequently can't get to sleep until later and later.   

I'm gonna reset the rings on their phones to 50 million, buy them both a cordless phone for their bedrooms (dad though AT&T would have to come to the house to "set that up" so I had to 'splain the concept to him.  sheez.

Are these kinds of issues "normal" with older people?  Thank goodness I only live 3 miles away and have a flexible enough job to be able to do this.  lol **pulls hair** lol.

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Hugs to you Ronna. I love my mom to pieces but sometimes she's the same way with the sleeping and remembering stuff.  I don't know....sometimes it's probably age related and I think some may be depression and maybe the meds they have to take.  It's hard though and can get frustrating.  I check on my mom several times a day.  A couple of times I called and called....I was pet sitting so it was a 25 minute drive and she was ok and said....oh...sorry I turned the phone off and forgot to turn it back on.  OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!   Are you kidding???????????   LOL  By the time I got there I was broke out in hives and about to have a heart attack!!!!   LOL  So...sometimes it's like a little kid and you just have to deal with it.  I do think she needs to be checked by a dr.  Again....big hugs to you.  I imagine it's just normal aging.  See what we have to look forward to????    LOL

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I mentioned it a few weeks ago, but I've already told both my kids that when I get to this point, USE THE PILLOW.  lol. Johnny says he doesn't think I'll get the same way as Gma.  lol. 

Quoting louannwilkins:

Hugs to you Ronna. I love my mom to pieces but sometimes she's the same way with the sleeping and remembering stuff.  I don't know....sometimes it's probably age related and I think some may be depression and maybe the meds they have to take.  It's hard though and can get frustrating.  I check on my mom several times a day.  A couple of times I called and called....I was pet sitting so it was a 25 minute drive and she was ok and said....oh...sorry I turned the phone off and forgot to turn it back on.  OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!   Are you kidding???????????   LOL  By the time I got there I was broke out in hives and about to have a heart attack!!!!   LOL  So...sometimes it's like a little kid and you just have to deal with it.  I do think she needs to be checked by a dr.  Again....big hugs to you.  I imagine it's just normal aging.  See what we have to look forward to????    LOL

wallmom1
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My dad didn't want to take anything for sleep either, but when he complained to his Dr. he was "told" to! Mom would take a pill for anything! But it is so hard when they reach a certain age. Mine are both gone and at times I am thankful to have made it through those tough years. But I also miss them everyday. I loved my parents dearly, but I always said it is a blessing and a curse to have them as long as I did. Good luck.

Why123
by Nancy on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM

My father was like that.  My mother not so much thank goodness.  She has started reading again instead of sleeping or vegetating in front of the tv.  She stopped doing a lot of stuff after she moved in with my brother.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Aging is a process and not always an easy one for either the one aging or those around them.   Until he gets home and can see for himself that she is okay, your dad will probably check with you numerous times just to be sure.  Even though we are younger than your parents, because I have had some serious health problems, my dh calls me umpteen times a day when he is away "just to be sure I am okay" plus he has a couple friends check in on me.     It will undoubedly lessen when he is at home and check for himself.  Good that you have access to the spare key to her bedroom though - that would be scary to not be able to get in.   Good luck with all the changes taking place.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

LOL  Awwww Ronna!!!  They better not!!!   LOL  LOL  LOL      :)

Quoting suzeebloch:

I think I mentioned it a few weeks ago, but I've already told both my kids that when I get to this point, USE THE PILLOW.  lol. Johnny says he doesn't think I'll get the same way as Gma.  lol. 

Quoting louannwilkins:

louannwilkins
by Louann on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:16 PM

You're right...it is a process and I think me and your dh would get along just fine because I check on my mom several times a day too.  lol  I hope your health is ok now and stays that way.  I know of a few things with you and your health.  Lets hope and pray the worst is behind you.     :)

Quoting mac1940:

Aging is a process and not always an easy one for either the one aging or those around them.   Until he gets home and can see for himself that she is okay, your dad will probably check with you numerous times just to be sure.  Even though we are younger than your parents, because I have had some serious health problems, my dh calls me umpteen times a day when he is away "just to be sure I am okay" plus he has a couple friends check in on me.     It will undoubedly lessen when he is at home and check for himself.  Good that you have access to the spare key to her bedroom though - that would be scary to not be able to get in.   Good luck with all the changes taking place.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I remember running over to my dad's only to find him asleep on the deck.  I was in tears out of fear when he did not anser his phone all day.  When he was diagnosed with cancer I had not encountered any health issues myself so it was very hard to know how to advise him.   He was very stubborn with help and did not take advise.  I miss him so much.  What I would give to have him living here with me - doubt I could have ever talked him into that.  You parents definately need each other and a dr can probably help your mom with meds.  Hopefully they can get back to their normal routine after your dad gets home.  I know you will still worry - but our parents have to do things their own way.  I know I will.  In the mean time don't pull all your hair out!

jabs54
by Jeanine on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM

It would be nice if they lived in an assisted living facility so someone could check on them. 

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Gosh, I hope not, Ronna. 

Quoting suzeebloch:

Quoting louannwilkins:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)