Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Adult children

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Are there are any mothers out there that are dealing with their children living far away?

How do you deal with the hurt and saddness sometimes you feel when you see your friends with their children around?

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LadySaphira
by Lisa on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Two of my adult children still live at home but my oldest lives about 2 hours away. I do not get to see him as often as I would like but it does not bother me that my friends see their adult children more often than I see him.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Mine are still at home. 

Sorry you feel this way! hugs

LadyDiamond927
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM

My oldest son moved back to NY, it's been a 3 or 4 years, and I still miss him terribly...

MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM

My son is in basic training in Georgia, after that we don't know where he will be yet. It is where I knew he would be but it still hurts a lot. Not when people are with their kids but just missing him in general. It will get easier when someone isn't so controlling of his time, LOL. Like when he can have a phone or computer, etc. Mail or packages, etc. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Yes I have one out of state & one a couple hours away from home,
It does hurt but I face time with them weekly as well as talk/text often.
it all helps ;)

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM

My only child is 21 and has been living in Italy since May.  She is going to take a position in England as a nanny in September and is planning on staying there for the whole school year.  I miss her a lot and sometimes feel sad, especially when looking at photos of when she was a baby and a little girl. 

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Funny you ask. We live in AR. My daughter & her kids and husband live in CA. My 2  boys live in IL, where I'm from. It's very hard to deal with. I do get very sad and envious when we have to go see Ray's Mom every weekend. His brother Bobby, lives with MIL, and wife, Cheryl. We will be moving back to IL in about a year or less. I and hub decided we need to be around our kids and grandson more than anything.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:41 AM

My son Johnny moved from the KC area where I live to California to go to college back in 2008, a couple weeks before he turned 18.  That's about 1800 miles away from me.  In 2009 he was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and in 2011 had surgery - I was able to be with him for 5 weeks while he recovered, then he sent me home.  lol.  After graduating in 2012, he landed a job and will probably stay in California for who knows how long.

I'm sorry - but I do NOT feel "hurt and sadness."  I am proud that my son is able to work around and with this brain tumor and manage to come out on top of it, being strong and independent. 

My daughter is 33 now and lives perhaps 10 miles from me - but she is busy with her life as I am with mine.  I see her a bit more often than my son but certainly don't feel any "hurt or sadness" about her, either. 

We are given our children for 18 years to raise them to become independent individuals.  This is all just a part of the natural course of life!  If you are having a difficult time "dealing" with being "hurt" and "sad,"  you need to realize it's time to "let go." 

terri-553
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:07 AM

All 6 of mine live here in town.I see my daughter everyday as I keep Thomas,It doesn;t bother me not to see mine everyday,It is painful for other Moms I am sure

Why123
by Nancy on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I live in Southwest Ohio.  My oldest daughter lives in Georgia and my youngest daughter lives in Arkansas.  My middle daughter lives across town and my son and his family live with me.  I hear from them when I hear from them.  They have their own lives and that is the way it should be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)