Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Want opinions please (decorating question)

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

When my dd moved out last week I moved my bed into her room.  My bed does not have a headboard and I don't plan on buying one.  I have a couple pictures that need a place to hang and was wondering what you thought about putting this picture over my bed.  Dumb idea?

btw, the room looks extremely bright yellow in the picture, I don't know why.

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

It would look fine, but I am very wary of hanging things that might fall on me. And it happens. So I'd put something that absolutely wouldn't hurt you if it fell on you. Or somehow bolt the picture into the studs of the house. Or pull the bed away from the wall.

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I would put the bold picture on the wall to the right of your bed- and move the other one somewhere else.     The wall  your bed is on already has a heavier volume and focal point.  I think putting the bold ( along with  heavy black accent pieces or black lettered phrase over or under )  on  right would help to balance the area better.     Also a huge Black accent pillow against the wall on the bed.    I love decorating.   I think these changes would really pull everything together.     :-)      Another option would be to   paint a huge picture frame black,  then put your favorite quote or phrase on the wall in the center of the black frame.       With the bright wall colors,  I would go with black for your accents.    

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE
sabrtooth1
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Pictures, or collections of pictures, hung in lieu of a headboard, should be at least as wide as the bed.  Your picture is not.  Plus, the color and composition of the picture does not complement the bed or the room.  Google images of "pictures over beds" and "pictures as headboards" to see what I mean.

HOWEVER HGTV is not going to come in and judge your bedroom.  Do what you like. 

Ambear72
by Amber on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I think its a cute picture and I think itll look good over your bed.  It goes with the room.

Apatosaurus
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I wouldn't want anything over my head. I like the idea of painting frame on wall. The right size. Or paint a mural of what you like.

grandmagrandpa

No we aren't quite that old yet....but they're cute aren't they?

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I like some of the suggestions you were given,
mainly though I don't think I could have something right above my head ..
let us know what you decide :)

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Okay, along with being athletically-challenged, I am also decor-challenged.  I have no clue which picture would look better there, if at all.  So don't listen to me.   Reading thru the replies so far, I have to agree I'd be leery of something hanging above my head and also that HGTV won't be coming over to judge.  lol.

Be sure to let us know what you decide and send a picture!!!

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I think the pics above are nice. I would add some sconces to really bring them out.

Bmat
by Barb on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Yes, this is my feeling also.  I have heard too often of items falling from walls.

Quoting Apatosaurus:

I wouldn't want anything over my head. I like the idea of painting frame on wall. The right size. Or paint a mural of what you like.

maryBlanche
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I live in Calif., so I am always leery of hanging thins directly over the. That said I think sconses  or light haning lights would look nice hanging over the right and left side of your bed.  You already have a lot going on with the shelf above. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)