Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Things our parents told us

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM
  • 33 Replies

to get us to do what they wanted us to do. What did your parents tell you?

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ambear72
by Amber on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I read someone elses post on manners, and that reminded me of my Mom telling me I had to eat properly incase the Queen came to visit.  I was young so I thought there was a chance she could visit.  LOL 

My Dad had a very hairy chest and when I was younger he would tell me to drink my milk cuz it would put hair on my chest.  As I got older and realized I didnt want hair on my chest he would tell me the things he wanted me to eat would give me big boobs.  That didnt happen either.  LOL  SO funny.  I tried to tell my kids that, but they just look at me like I am insane and say ewww or yuck. LOL

sabrtooth1
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM
8 moms liked this

My mom never told us stories.  She said do or die, and we believed her. 

My dh tried a story ONCE.  We were in a restaurant with our kids, and older dd was 6 or 7.  Waitresses always made over my kids because they were adorable blue-eyed  red heads, who were more than usually articulate.   There was a mirrored wall behind the banquette where we were seated.  The waitress came over to ask for our orders, and older dd was too engrossed in looking at herself in the mirror, to answer. 

DH said, "You need to stop that.  That's vanity.  Vanity is a deadly sin, and God will punish you for it." 

She said, "What will God do, Daddy?" 

Dh said, "God will make all that beautiful red hair --that everybody compliments-- fall out."

She sat there a minute, then said, "So, is that what God did to YOUR hair Daddy?"

I thought the waitress would pee herself.

Why123
by Nancy on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I can remember being told to eat everything because there were a lot of starving children in China who would be happy to get what we had.

JulietAngel89
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM

that eating my crusts would make my hair curly... too bad i didnt want curly hair lol

louannwilkins
by Louann on Sep. 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

LOL  I heard this one too.  lol

Quoting Why123:

I can remember being told to eat everything because there were a lot of starving children in China who would be happy to get what we had.

my2kidsmom9498
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

My parents are both WWII war refugees, so if you ever said you did not like a certain food, my dad would start on a war story of starving during the war.  When I was a teen, and wanted a ride someplace, my mom would remind me she came over at age 15 on a work visa and had no money nor a car.  Sigh.  OK, I will eat my liver and ride my bike, please...no more war stories!!

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:46 AM

do it or I'll beat your a$$. LOL

Cafe MichelleP
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Make sure I had on clean underwear in case I was ever in an accident, don't want the paramedics or hospital personal talking bad about you...haha
Ugh, I thought clean underwear daily was a given..lol

Cafe MichelleP
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh and eat your carrots so you don't go blind.

Ambear72
by Amber on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I was always told there were children in Africa.

Quoting Why123:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)