Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So do you?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
Save things from your children's childhood as memories when they are older? My husband says I'm nuts for saving beloved stories, articles of clothing...etc for my kids as keepsakes when they are older. I explained to him how happy my 23 year old daughter was that I did this for her, & that she even dressed my grand baby in her old baby clothes. He then replied how crazy that was ....opinions? Thoughts? Experiences? Please share...
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ambear72
by Amber on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I have tried,but  sometimes life gets in the way and we had to get rid of some of the things I have saved. 

rosebud727
by Rose on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I have some baby clothing, the crib, first paintings and various little trinkets. Oh, and boxes of dolls and beanie babies!

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

You do whatever feels right to you! 

I have saved a lot of things that have belonged to my children. I have the first book I read to my oldest when he was three months old.

That is great that your daughter appreciated this and wore the same outfit. How sweet! 

Apatosaurus
Happy Resurrection Day! The Day My Lord Jesus Rose from the dead showing God excepted payment from him for my sins. My Sins Are GONE! Buried in the Sea of Forgetfulness.
Today at 1:11 AM
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I have things from my childhood. I have saved from my children as well, probably my grandchildrens too.

Moving a couple of times has made me learn what is important to keep and what should be given away or thrown away. If I do throw things away I make sure they don't see me do it. My daughter says put it in a bag. If they see it they will want it. Don't want to start the next generation being a pack rat. If something has meaning for you by all means keep it. I got rid of dolls that came from Vietnam. They had gotten a little dusty is all, but I was trying to get rid of some things. I regret throwing them away can't get them back. Dad's in Heaven! I felt bad for doing it. So make sure!. I heard someone on TV say take pictures of what brings memories to you. Guess you can't do that with clothes you can pass down. My granddaughter has used a sweater her Aunt and Mom wore to put on her dolls. So do what you think is best. Husband don't always understand why we want to keep things. Does he have something he would never part with? Like a baseball or glove or trading card. Tell him that is how you feel about the things you want to keep. But do remember if you ever have to move you have to pack it or leave it. I still have things packed in a box. Waiting for cooler weather so I can go through the boxes. I may have to make chosens about what to keep and what to get rid of. I hope this help! You have the final say with what you have. Marionpaparazzi 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

don't listen to your husband on this issue.  Keep whatever YOU want to keep!  I've got a lot of grade school papers and pictures saved in boxes.  Granted, I seldom look at them much these days but at least I have them.  I have both of my kids' first swimsuits - those itsy bitsy Speedos of Johnny's are so danged cute!!  lol.  I am not saving these things for anyone but ME.  I've moved quite a few times since my daughter was born 33 years ago but I faithfully bring these little treasures along each time I move.

Quoting stuswf:

Save things from your children's childhood as memories when they are older? My husband says I'm nuts for saving beloved stories, articles of clothing...etc for my kids as keepsakes when they are older. I explained to him how happy my 23 year old daughter was that I did this for her, & that she even dressed my grand baby in her old baby clothes. He then replied how crazy that was ....opinions? Thoughts? Experiences? Please share...

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Sep. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I did save some things but everything I had was destroyed in a flood so now I have nothing.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I saved special things from the time they were born.  Cute outfits, favorite toys, books and some of their treasured collections, as well as report cards, sport uniforms, etc. and, of course, all those handcrafted with love presents they made for and gave me.  

tinysmom160
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

no I save stuff and then when they went to college and made them scrape books

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Some. My mom gave me a bunch of boxes and I threw 3/4 of it away. I would never save all the crap she saved.
I do make scrapbooks. That is worth it to have nice scrapbooks with pictures. I have a huge awesome scrapbook of pics my Mom made for me.
I do not forsee my dd's wanting to put their future kids in their baby clothes. I have a few, very few clothes.

Quoting stuswf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I have saved lots of stuff. 

I had my DD's picture taken in an old outfit of mine that my mom had keep. It was really cool.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)