Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

what are your degrees in?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 39 Replies
I'm not sure if this has been asked before but my question comes bc yesterday before class one 25 year old girl was saying how she finished her degree went to work as a pharmacist I believe she said and she hate it, so now she is back in school for a 2nd major.

This made me freak out bc I'm almost 43 and I finally feel like I know what i want but after class I felt I wasn't sure I wanted it since I might have to take more classes like the one yesterday and I just didn't like it. I know some classes can be boring and others aren't but I'm going for art therapy which means that for my masters I have to do a lot of psych classes and now I'm changing my mind.
Then this morning I read what were good paying degree jobs vs none, and in the no was psych were anything computer is in the yes file.

At the beginning I wanted to be a graphic designer and I didn't like using Photoshop, it was a little complicated for me. Of course I haven't used it in years and I know with practice I could improve. I feel I'm late in the switching game.
I'm back in confusion

So, did you get to do what you wanted with your degrees or you changed your mind afterwards realizing it wasn't what you like. Do you work in what your degree is in?

I'm scared I can't make a mistake right now. I'm thinking of just getting my masters in fine arts. I read I could become a college professor with it.
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an AA in Political Science.  I wanted a law degree and work for the diplomatic corp.  Life intervened.  I started college when I was 40.  I discovered that I really liked the college atmosphere.  I started working as a peer tutor.  Progressed to part time staff.  Discovered that I was pretty good with computers.  Took some computer classes and got a full time job as a lab tech.  I now do software support in Distance Learning.  I have been at this college for 26 years.  I work at a community college and you can teach here with a master's.

flika
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Wow awesome!
One of my passions is political science. I thought about doing it as a minor but the advisor said it wasn't a his idea.

I love how you found your calling. I wish something like this would happen to me to. I'm so lost most of the time.

Quoting Why123:

I have an AA in Political Science.  I wanted a law degree and work for the diplomatic corp.  Life intervened.  I started college when I was 40.  I discovered that I really liked the college atmosphere.  I started working as a peer tutor.  Progressed to part time staff.  Discovered that I was pretty good with computers.  Took some computer classes and got a full time job as a lab tech.  I now do software support in Distance Learning.  I have been at this college for 26 years.  I work at a community college and you can teach here with a master's.

LuckyLady0427
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Journalism. I loved writing, but hated working for someone else. So, I started my own business in Web Management and Marketing.

I am also a Social Media Strategist. It all coincides with writing so my degree is going to good use AND I have my own company. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box :)

drumomma
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an Associates in Food Science technology (basically QA in the food industry) and worked for many food companies for about 20 years. I have now gone back to school and am 3 classes away from completing my bachelors in business management. To get any sort of promotion with the company I work for you have to have a 4 year degree. They have paid for most of it, but I can't wait to be done!

RiverHipMama
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you can be a college professor with a masters. I'm pretty sure you need a PhD, but I could be mistaken. 
Anyways, I initially went back for elementary education, but changed my mind and now I'm doing anthropology/history. I'm an older student, too, and always freaking out that I've made the wrong decision, but I enjoy what I'm learning and I'm just going to hope for the best for now.
One thing maybe you should consider is going to the career services department at your college. There are all kinds of tests and things that can help you determine what the right career path for you is.  

flika
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I haven't done one in a while but when I did it was always in the arts or helping people/animals. I'm not into nursing so I thought art therapy was a perfect fit. Now I'm so worry I'm wrong.

I love history also. It was one of the majors I was considering. Political science and history were the ones.

Quoting RiverHipMama:

I don't think you can be a college professor with a masters. I'm pretty sure you need a PhD, but I could be mistaken. 
Anyways, I initially went back for elementary education, but changed my mind and now I'm doing anthropology/history. I'm an older student, too, and always freaking out that I've made the wrong decision, but I enjoy what I'm learning and I'm just going to hope for the best for now.
One thing maybe you should consider is going to the career services department at your college. There are all kinds of tests and things that can help you determine what the right career path for you is.  

flika
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Omg I wish I could be a writer this is one of my dreams that I feel it Slyke never happen.
That's so cool you get to do what you like.

Quoting LuckyLady0427:

Journalism. I loved writing, but hated working for someone else. So, I started my own business in Web Management and Marketing.

I am also a Social Media Strategist. It all coincides with writing so my degree is going to good use AND I have my own company. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box :)

Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My degrees are in teaching and math.  I did use my teaching skills for many years, but the math not so much, and math was much harder the further along I studied than I thought it would be. I got a decent job with it, and met my husband there, so hard to say. For a subject I liked (other than teaching) I should have gone into physical therapy.

flika
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Pardon my ignorance but I don't know what a QA is :(

Do you deal with animals at all? What do you like about your job or don't like? Do you get to see what we hear on the news about all this issues with additives to the food supply or what the animals are fed?

Quoting drumomma:

I have an Associates in Food Science technology (basically QA in the food industry) and worked for many food companies for about 20 years. I have now gone back to school and am 3 classes away from completing my bachelors in business management. To get any sort of promotion with the company I work for you have to have a 4 year degree. They have paid for most of it, but I can't wait to be done!

LuckyLady0427
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

The best thing ever is Kindle..You can self publish! I am working on a steamy erotica novel that I will be self publishing under a ghost name :D

Quoting flika:

Omg I wish I could be a writer this is one of my dreams that I feel it Slyke never happen.
That's so cool you get to do what you like.

Quoting LuckyLady0427:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)