Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Back to School / Welcome wagon!!!

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

Last year, the phrase "Back to school" was almost overlooked by me since all of my kids are grown and out on their own.

Now that T is in school, I've been on here a little bit here and there, but find myself just wanting to bask in the peace and quiet of my home.  No stress of micro managing a teenager....just snuggle time with our five furry kids.

Today, I'm looking through the list of topics and see TONS of new names of people and realized, I have missed a lot of newcomers since we moved in a 'foster' type teenager.  

So, I would just like to say "Welcome" to the new faces/screen names in this forum.  

welcome how are you  have a nice day

And to all you whom I'm blessed to know on here, (I know you see my head bopping up and down in here every now and then ;) )  You're all awesome!

bouncing mom  happy   you rock

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL  Nice!   :)

honeygram4
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You are a foster parent to a teenager and have grown kids? How did that work, was your hubby on board? I am home alone most days/evenings as kids are grown and at work... dh is a truck driver and not here either.. miss kids being  here, with friends over and drama and homework needing help with, etc... was wanting to adopt or something... miss having a "kid" in the house...

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Haha, where do you live? We can share this one! LOL ;)
I worked at a group home for teenage girls and left there in April. ( it was a group home by choice from parent not a court ordered one)... This teen left the program prematurely and went right back to old patterns when she went home.
A few parents reached out to me after learning I was no longer at group home.
Since I already knew this grill and love every teen I worked with at the gh, my husband and I offered to take her in.
It's been a tough adjustment now that school has begun as the teenager is testing me from many angles.
My husband agreed because he trusts this is a calling of sorts on our life. I truly preferred the group home setting as I got to go be a mom (so to speak), and go home to my own quiet space.
But, having her live with us is really showing me all I have to work on with me. So this journey isn't just about her, but all of my family as well. It is stretching me to limits I don't like to be stretched. I also see how selfish I really am and that is hard for me to face as well.
How many kids do you have? What are their ages?
I have 3 daughters. Age 25, 22, and 20. And a son in law and a 16 month old grand daughter.
Girls are us!!!

Quoting honeygram4:

You are a foster parent to a teenager and have grown kids? How did that work, was your hubby on board? I am home alone most days/evenings as kids are grown and at work... dh is a truck driver and not here either.. miss kids being  here, with friends over and drama and homework needing help with, etc... was wanting to adopt or something... miss having a "kid" in the house...

honeygram4
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

DH has a 31 and 27 year old dd's and 4 sweet grandsons ages 7,3, almost 2 and 9 months (I rarely get to see them as the bio mom of the girls does not share well, and DH was not around his girls for years until we moved here...)... I have 18 year old son who moved in with his gf's dad, and 20 and 21 year old dd's who recently moved back in with us...

I live in NC, but used to live in Ohio. My girls thought I was the worst mama, but all their friends loved me and DH. They all wanted to live with us. My sons friends adore us to. My DH is a kid magnet to, so it is wierd having no kids here. Call me crazy but when my kids were teens I tried to downplay the drama by preparing them for life. My kids knew how to grocery shop with coupons on a budget, cook, clean, balance a checkbook, read a map, apply for a job, and since my niece had a baby, they are all pros with diapers and bottles (and none have kids yet either). I think parents do to much for their kids these days and they have to much free time to indulge in the drama! But anyways, if I don't foster or adopt I may volunteer somewhere, any suggestions?  

Quoting momma-t42:

I worked at a group home for teenage girls and left there in April. ( it was a group home by choice from parent not a court ordered one)... This teen left the program prematurely and went right back to old patterns when she went home.
Since I already knew this grill and love every teen I worked with at the gh, my husband and I offered to take her in.
It's been a tough adjustment now that school has begun as the teenager is testing me from many angles.
My husband agreed because he trusts this is a calling of sorts on our life. I truly preferred the group home setting as I got to go be a mom (so to speak), and go home to my own quiet space.
But, having her live with us is really showing me all I have to work on with me. So this journey isn't just about her, but all of my family as well. It is stretching me to limits I don't like to be stretched. I also see how selfish I really am and that is hard for me to face as well.
I have 3 daughters. Age 25, 22, and 20. And a son in law and a 16 month old grand daughter.
Girls are us!!!

Quoting honeygram4:

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You. Join our Friendly/Supportive :)
Yesterday at 10:54 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Hope you're enjoying it :)

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Sep. 13, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome back.  Hope to see more of you, Tracy.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Sep. 13, 2013 at 5:11 PM

No camping this weekend? 

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Oh yes...yes we are camping. No place special, but we're out of the city, no kids with us. Just me, my man, and the 'fatties'. 😊
Just here til Sunday, but a well needed getaway for us.
Have a great weekend!

Quoting Esmrlda:

No camping this weekend? 

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I've had to look a few times to see if I was in the right room as I didn't recognize so many of the names.
I hope to come through this way more. Good to hear from you. How's your daughter doing in Italy? Will you go visit her any time soon?

Quoting DesignGirl450:

Welcome back.  Hope to see more of you, Tracy.

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Volunteering is Exactly what led me to this time in our lives where we have a teen living with us.
The year my youngest graduated is when I began volunteering at a girls group home for hurting teens, then they hired me, and now we have one of the former residents from that group home living with us.

Sounds like you have a Brady bunch family :-) how wonderful!
Have a great weekend! It's nice meeting you and getting to know you. 😊

Quoting honeygram4:

DH has a 31 and 27 year old dd's and 4 sweet grandsons ages 7,3, almost 2 and 9 months (I rarely get to see them as the bio mom of the girls does not share well, and DH was not around his girls for years until we moved here...)... I have 18 year old son who moved in with his gf's dad, and 20 and 21 year old dd's who recently moved back in with us...

I live in NC, but used to live in Ohio. My girls thought I was the worst mama, but all their friends loved me and DH. They all wanted to live with us. My sons friends adore us to. My DH is a kid magnet to, so it is wierd having no kids here. Call me crazy but when my kids were teens I tried to downplay the drama by preparing them for life. My kids knew how to grocery shop with coupons on a budget, cook, clean, balance a checkbook, read a map, apply for a job, and since my niece had a baby, they are all pros with diapers and bottles (and none have kids yet either). I think parents do to much for their kids these days and they have to much free time to indulge in the drama! But anyways, if I don't foster or adopt I may volunteer somewhere, any suggestions?  

Quoting momma-t42:

Girls are us!!!

Quoting honeygram4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN