Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Adopt a younger kid???? EDIT and thanks!!

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM
  • 24 Replies

So my DH has 2 grown daughters, 27 and 31 and 4 grandsons ranging in age from 9 months to 7 years.  I have an 18, 20 and 21 year old.

I want more kids, I would like to adopt a 12-14 year old.  It will have to wait as my 20 and 21 year olds live with us currently. He says no some days and yes other days. Any of you have your babies become adults and want more kids? I am missing the 'send them to school' phase I guess, no 'homework help', etc. And I tried babysitting 3 kids (my oldest DD works with their mom). They were 7 and 9 year old twins and total brats, so I got out of that quickly... So am I crazy or the only one to want one more kid and not have to do the diapers phase again????

Ok Ladies, thanks soo much for your imput, it was nice to see others around my age have a perspective and twist on this. We have a full house right now, so it would not be any time soon, so we are still discussing it, and I am checking into volunteer opportunities like one of you (or more...) suggested. Thanks so much for the advice!!! big smile mini

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM
4 moms liked this

can of wormsWoman, don't MAKE me reach through our monitors and SLAP you!!!

just kidding, just kidding.  Actually I was looking into babysitting INFANTS a couple years back.  the itsy bitsy ones.  I work at home and thought I could handle one or two INFANTS while I was typing during the day. you know, the kind that don't crawl yet?  lol  And as soon as they start to walk - bye bye baby.  lol.  but I only have one entrance to my apartment and was told by the city I wouldn't be able to get a license.

I don't think you're necessarily crazy but I would encourage you to think long and hard about what you are wanting.  Instead of adopting, maybe try being a foster instead first?   

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this

youre not crazy.  i want to foster when i have no more of my own.  but we shall see.  i have never been an adult without a child - so i may want some freedom first lol

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I raised mine and then did foster parenting for several years - had teens.  Challenging and rewarding.  

so, I don't think you are crazy.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I, personally, think you are NUTS!

I still have a 14 year old and they are NOT fun, IMO. Too moody.

Serious question, if you couldn't handle babysitting, how are you going to handle a very moody teenagers that comes with baggage?

atlmom2
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM
This

Quoting Cindy18:

I, personally, think you are NUTS!

I still have a 14 year old and they are NOT fun, IMO. Too moody.

Serious question, if you couldn't handle babysitting, how are you going to handle a very moody teenagers that comes with baggage?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to really think that through!!!  Teen are TOUGH.  I would not have the energy  - nor the patience and time for another child anymore.  I still am devoting time to my young adult children and DGD.  I would not want to take time away from them.  You may be one who is truly gifted and can do it - just think very hard about it first.  I agree that fostering would give you some experience to decide if it is something you want to do forever.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If that's what you want to do then more power to you.  I don't think you're crazy.  As for me....I'll just see the grandkids and enjoy that.  I wouldn't want to do it again full time.  I would if necessary but as for wanting to do it....no I wouldn't.  It's hard for me to keep up with the grandkids as it is.  lol    :)

honeygram4
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Yeah I definitely have too much time on my hands, I have been without for years, my son turned 18 in Feb but before that was very self reliant.... so I have missed "kids" for a few years now... but I know what you mean about wanting "no kid adult time"

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

youre not crazy.  i want to foster when i have no more of my own.  but we shall see.  i have never been an adult without a child - so i may want some freedom first lol

honeygram4
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Quoting suzeebloch:

can of wormsWoman, don't MAKE me reach through our monitors and SLAP you!!!

just kidding, just kidding.  Actually I was looking into babysitting INFANTS a couple years back.  the itsy bitsy ones.  I work at home and thought I could handle one or two INFANTS while I was typing during the day. you know, the kind that don't crawl yet?  lol  And as soon as they start to walk - bye bye baby.  lol.  but I only have one entrance to my apartment and was told by the city I wouldn't be able to get a license.

I don't think you're necessarily crazy but I would encourage you to think long and hard about what you are wanting.  Instead of adopting, maybe try being a foster instead first?   

My DH would probably hold me down for you to slap me! He thinks 5 kids and 4 grands is enough most days... we are still thinking and can't do anything right now as we have a full 3 bedroom house with my 21 and 20 year old daughters here... thanks for the advice though!!!

bow down

honeygram4
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Quoting mac1940:

I raised mine and then did foster parenting for several years - had teens.  Challenging and rewarding.  

so, I don't think you are crazy.

thanks, my DH worries about all the red tape and classes to foster, so that is why I said adopt, but I think that has red tape also! I think he just really thinks we have enough!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)