Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Kitchen Talk for September 30th

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM
  • 11 Replies

Do you have any food traditions that you have STARTED with your family?

Cindy

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Sep. 30, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Every Christmas I bake a Simple Simon Danish.  I acquired the recipe before 1994 from a coworker when I worked at KU Medical Center.  Not sure if I'll do that this year though, as Johnny is on a low-carb way of eating to see if that will help control his seizures/tumor growth.  Not sure I'd be able to make it low carb.  It has flour and powdered sugar in the recipe ... He has a followup MRI in October and said if the tumor hasn't shrunk he is not sure he will stay on this WOE, so we'll see. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I still do a few things that have been passed down. There really isn't anyone who will carry it on down after me though.   :(

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM

We have a Christmas cookie baking day and each year we try to add at least one brand new recipe. I think my DD will continue that tradition

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

We have quite a few.  All of my kids insist on having the same menu served for Thanksgiving, sticky quickies are a must have on Christmas morning, to name a few.  I think all of my kids will continue these traditions.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM

no

Bmat
by Barb on Sep. 30, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

The only one I can think of is to put a quarter in the birthday cake. Whoever gets the quarter is lucky. :) 

Esmrlda
by Esme on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

We have made tamales for the past two Christmas Eve's. Before that I never made them before.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM

On Halloween, We have to have Chili Dogs. 

On Christmas Eve, we have to have White Castle and pizza. 

Those are the two that I started with my kids.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You never know!!  I carry out some of my MIL traditions and make some of her recipes.  My zucchini breads, preserves and dressing are her recipes.  I believe it is important to her kids (dexh and his siblings) and my girls to have some of her traditions carry on.  I use recipes from all the great women in my family.  It is just special.

Quoting louannwilkins:

I still do a few things that have been passed down. There really isn't anyone who will carry it on down after me though.   :(

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM

We have some kind of special soup and homemade bread on Christmas eve. I keep the soup warm in the crockpot while we got to the evening church service and visit a swanky hotel downtown that puts on a gingerbread house contest, then we come home, have a cocktail, play games and have our soup and bread. I think it's my favorite night of the year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN