Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure what to do about this...

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 23 Replies
My daughter is 28. She lives with her bf. For many years she and I have not had a good relationship due to her lifestyle choices...meaning drugs and alcohol. She was very oppositional and defiant. We are now working on our relationship and things are going very well. Unfortunately, my ex MIL has been chirping in my daughter's ear since she was a little girl. My ex husband and I broke up when she was only 5. Since then the grandmother, (ex mil) has been on a smear campaign along with the ex. My other child is 25 and he never was influenced by them but she was. Here's my situation now. My daughter has a facebook page...and the ex MIL is CONSTANTLY posting shit on there to my daughter since she knows we are now getting closer. She rarely commented in the past so it seems intentional. I know this sounds petty but if I block her then she knows she upset me. I don't want to give her the satisfaction. Some of her posts are sickenly sweet. I honestly think she is still trying to manipulate my daughter. Any advice? Thank you.
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

are you saying block the ex MIL or blocking your daughter?  I'd block the exMIL.  to heck with her.  are you sure that when you block someone on FB that they necessarily know it? 

what does your daughter have to say about the MIL posting all that crap?  maybe your daughter could block her, too.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

https://www.facebook.com/help/103802526375594

peaceflower04
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Oh I don't want to block my daughter. I am just sick of seeing the ex MIL post constantly. If I do block her I know she will ask my daughter where I am. Then she will know that I blocked her. If I do block her she will have the satisfaction of knowing she got to me. Thank you for your help! :)

peaceflower04
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Also the sad part is the ex mil plays favorites. She has always favored my daughter over my son since they were little. I took a stand but nothing seems to help. 

EireLass
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM
3 moms liked this
I would block her for your own peace of mind. Seeing as your kids are adults, you really have no need for contact or communication with anyone in that family. Sometimes its best to remove people from our world, our view, our ears, etc.
peaceflower04
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Thanks Suze and Eirelass! <3

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I ended up "un-friending"  my DH's ex-wife. She had sent me a friend request a long time ago and I thought it would be rude if I didn't accept it. Anyway, she has always gotten on my nerves and even more so on FB. I un-friened her and I have just said that I really like to use FB for people that I'm really close with. My step-kids haven't been the least bit offened that I un-friend their mom. Are you friends with your ex-mil on FB or just seeing things she's posting on your DD's wall?

peaceflower04
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Jennifer! No I am NOT friends with my ex MIL. There is bad blood there only because of her manipulation and brain washing. Her son, *my ex husband was physically and emotionally abusive to me. When I didn't put up with any longer and called the police on him is when she and I parted ways. I always tried to be a fair mom and allow her to see the kids. However when the kids started coming back and saying things about me that weren't nice to them and overstepping her boundaries not only with them but with me, I stood up to her. She didn't like it. Since then our relationship has been non-exisiting.

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't imagine how awful that must have been and how irritating it must be to still be reminded of her. FB can really bring up complicated issues.

Quoting peaceflower04:

Thanks for sharing your story Jennifer! No I am NOT friends with my ex MIL. There is bad blood there only because of her manipulation and brain washing. Her son, *my ex husband was physically and emotionally abusive to me. When I didn't put up with any longer and called the police on him is when she and I parted ways. I always tried to be a fair mom and allow her to see the kids. However when the kids started coming back and saying things about me that weren't nice to them and overstepping her boundaries not only with them but with me, I stood up to her. She didn't like it. Since then our relationship has been non-exisiting.

peaceflower04
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Quoting JenniferW67:

I can't imagine how awful that must have been and how irritating it must be to still be reminded of her. FB can really bring up complicated issues.

Quoting peaceflower04:

Exactly Jennifer! You hit the nail on the head. This triggers me about my past with these awful people! ugh! :( I'm happily married now for almost 20 years yet when I see these posts it takes me back to that terrible time in my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)