Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Fried TV

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 12 Replies

I think my TV has been fried with a power surge or something.  It is in my kitchen and it is super aggravating.  I have to turn it off and on dozens of times to get it to work.  Grrrr.  I wonder if it is repairable...anybody know?  A contractor told me that many of the transformers in my area have been replaced with cheap parts which is causing light bulbs to blow out.  I should have had a surge protector on it...

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Yes, my guess would be it is fried. This happened with our satellite box, and also with a TV in the same circuit.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

On no :(

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Were you able to get them repaired?  I saw on the internet that sometimes TVs can be fixed.  I may take it in to see if someone can fix it - I sure don't have the skill to do it.

Quoting Bmat:

Yes, my guess would be it is fried. This happened with our satellite box, and also with a TV in the same circuit.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

The company replaced the satellite box,  the TV was an old one anyway so we didn't try to get it repaired. Good luck!

Quoting Maddie24:

Were you able to get them repaired?  I saw on the internet that sometimes TVs can be fixed.  I may take it in to see if someone can fix it - I sure don't have the skill to do it.

Quoting Bmat:

momma-t42
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM
It's usually cheaper to replace than repair. Good luck. We short circuited our computer, and two kitchen lights a couple days ago.. But it's in the electric line.
hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Thinking yes it is fried ;(
Surge protectors are wonderful.
sorry :(

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Doesn't sound good. I would just call a repair shop and ask. Most times it's cheaper to replace than repair. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:41 AM

ugh.  i'm sorry.  I agree with Tracy it's probably less expensive just to buy a new one rather than get yours repaired.  One thought would be to purchase one from a thrift store.  That would be less expensive than new but could tide you over until you can afford to get a new one.

my TV is an ancient old one from 1996 or so but is still working!  It's a 32" screen but so heavy.  I know its days are numbered, too.  When the day comes I have to replace it I'm going to buy a new TV from Microcenter just because I have their credit card and if my purchase is over $299 I can take up to 6 months to pay same as cash so that's what I will probably do.

sorry about your fried TV, though.  When I first saw this post, I thought it was the name of some new TV show.  lol.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Ugh!  If I could only repair the thing myself.  There are instructions on line - but you have to know what the parts are and a little bit about what you are doing.  I should have known better than to leave it without a surge protector.  I hope your computer is ok.  I leave my laptop plugged in - guess I need to get a surge protector for it.

Quoting momma-t42:

It's usually cheaper to replace than repair. Good luck. We short circuited our computer, and two kitchen lights a couple days ago.. But it's in the electric line.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM

LOL - no new TV show...just fried TV.  And it is less than a year old.  Grrr.  I will call around and see what they say.  If it is too expensive, I can look around at the thrift stores or check into the sales.  There are worse things that can happen.  I need to quit watching so much TV anyway.  Sometimes I just turn it on for the noise.   

Quoting suzeebloch:

ugh.  i'm sorry.  I agree with Tracy it's probably less expensive just to buy a new one rather than get yours repaired.  One thought would be to purchase one from a thrift store.  That would be less expensive than new but could tide you over until you can afford to get a new one.

my TV is an ancient old one from 1996 or so but is still working!  It's a 32" screen but so heavy.  I know its days are numbered, too.  When the day comes I have to replace it I'm going to buy a new TV from Microcenter just because I have their credit card and if my purchase is over $299 I can take up to 6 months to pay same as cash so that's what I will probably do.

sorry about your fried TV, though.  When I first saw this post, I thought it was the name of some new TV show.  lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN