Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Negaholics are people who become...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 38 Replies

addicted to negativity and self-doubt. They find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied.

Do you know anyone like this?  Do you put up with them, give them advice or tune them out?

slapping forehead

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DesignGirl450
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Yes, a couple of sisters.  One has gotten better because when she started to get in negative digs at me while talking on the phone, I would say I have to go.  I think she got the idea, but it took a long time.  One time I did mention that she sounded negative, and she totally attacked me.  The other sister has had no contact with me for years. 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I have a dear friend, Margo, who is a negaholic.  She fits the description perfectly, bless her heart.  She is 86 or 87 (not sure which) but is still very young at heart and "with it."  I hired her 'way back last century to be the receptionist at the mortgage company where I worked and everyone loved her.  However, that company went belly-up, and when I landed at another mortgage company, I was able to bring her aboard there; but then they went belly up.  Margo's 2 kids live states away. Her daughter lives in a condo that Margo re-financed her own home to buy that for her and is making those payments because the daughter had been married 25 years and never worked, so getting into the job market has been rough but after 8 years, her daughter still has not paid one cent.  Margo's son lives in Boston and calls about once a week. Margo is always whining about her kids, her sister, her neices, nephews.  I know she's lonely, so I try to take her out about once a month as that's about all I can handle.  And the next month when I see her, it's the same stuff all over again.  I've tried to encourage her to get out and do some volunteer work but she is so negative that nothing I suggest sounds remotely do-able to her.  

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Yep, my mother and most of my husband's family are like this. Ugh. I try to help them, put up with them only when I have to and tune them out the rest of the time.

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM

We have a couple of those folks where I work! nothing makes them happy, it makes for a long day when I have to work with them!

JenniferW67
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I do know a few people who fit or have fit that description. I usually try and remind them to see  the good in their life or offer solutions. That has never worked, by the way. lol I really avoid negativity, and chronic complainers.

Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I used to have a friend like that.  Nothing was ever good enough.  You'll notice I said used to.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I can't say I know anyone like that other than on CM ;)

flika
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM
My mom. Everything is negative while claiming she is a positive person Lol... She wouldn't take us to Disney for Christmas bc she thought her mom could die and she needed to be there. Today my grandma is 97, so she didn't die. Now her possibilities are bigger than at her 50s.
And that's one example. There are too many. I try to keep my distance. It's sad but I can't take that much negativity.
Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Im sorry that you have an estraged sister but it sounds like its all for the better anyway.  Thats a good deploy saying you have to go.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

Yes, a couple of sisters.  One has gotten better because when she started to get in negative digs at me while talking on the phone, I would say I have to go.  I think she got the idea, but it took a long time.  One time I did mention that she sounded negative, and she totally attacked me.  The other sister has had no contact with me for years. 

Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:48 PM

She should get out and so something, it would make such a big difference in her life instead of doing nothing and wallowing.  Shame on her dd for not paying her back anything.

Quoting suzeebloch:

I have a dear friend, Margo, who is a negaholic.  She fits the description perfectly, bless her heart.  She is 86 or 87 (not sure which) but is still very young at heart and "with it."  I hired her 'way back last century to be the receptionist at the mortgage company where I worked and everyone loved her.  However, that company went belly-up, and when I landed at another mortgage company, I was able to bring her aboard there; but then they went belly up.  Margo's 2 kids live states away. Her daughter lives in a condo that Margo re-financed her own home to buy that for her and is making those payments because the daughter had been married 25 years and never worked, so getting into the job market has been rough but after 8 years, her daughter still has not paid one cent.  Margo's son lives in Boston and calls about once a week. Margo is always whining about her kids, her sister, her neices, nephews.  I know she's lonely, so I try to take her out about once a month as that's about all I can handle.  And the next month when I see her, it's the same stuff all over again.  I've tried to encourage her to get out and do some volunteer work but she is so negative that nothing I suggest sounds remotely do-able to her.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)