Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think everything happens for a reason?

Posted by   + Show Post

In another group there is a post asking for favorite sayings, and this one came up- that Everything happens for a reason.  What are your thoughts on this?

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Replies (21-30):
Esmrlda
by Esme on Oct. 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they do.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Yes I do.  I have to believe when a door is opened that it is meant to be considered.  I have a door that continues to open.  My previous employer is trying very hard to get me to come back.  I would lose a pension to do that, but I am real depressed where I am now.  There are other factors I have to consider. We are in discussions and I am scared to death.  It is a tough stressful job, but one I did well for a long time.   I miss them, but  there are some hitches and I would need my dexh to help me.  I guess I will have to decide something next week.   In the mean time - I am not getting a lot of sleep.  Did I say that I was scared??

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

no.  but i think in times of hardship and in times of ease we can always be learning lessons.
its too convenient to say "things happen for a reason".. people can easily retrofit in order to make it all make sense or seem to fit in to some kind of "master plan" or divinity.  i think we make choices and those choices lead to other choices and actions both in our control and outside of it (involving other people - not some supernatural being).
 what i do hate is when people say that when someone is going through a difficult time.  how damn insensitive can a person be to say that to a person struggling.

louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

this pretty much answers the question for me.   :)

Quoting Cindy18:

I do. I don't think we always know or can even fathom what the reason is sometimes but there is a grand plan. 

One of my favorite saying is "God doesn't give you more than you can handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much!" 

rosebud727
by Rose on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, because there is a cause and effect, and premeditate thought.

Good example, I interviewed for a job today, my friend got the job. He has been in the department longer than I and I feel he deserved it. His job is above my job, I want his job. :-) I will get his job...I will...

Its.me.Sam.
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

exactly my kind of thinking... its simple cause and effect.  perfectly simply said.
i think about all the things people could say "things happen for a reason" about... and i just think well...DUH!  of course it happened for a reason - just a normal cause and effect thing.  the key thing is if you walk away from it wiser, braver, kinder, etc.  but i do not at all believe its because things are set up for us - predestined by a supernatural entity - as some sort of lesson.  

Quoting rosebud727:

Good example, I interviewed for a job today, my friend got the job. He has been in the department longer than I and I feel he deserved it. His job is above my job, I want his job. :-) I will get his job...I will...

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:41 PM

((hugs))  Try writing pros and cons in two columns, then assign a weight to each ( for example  a pro of you like the people might get assigned an 8, but there is a short walk to the bathroom might get a 2. ) Then add it all up and consider what you have.

Quoting Maddie24:

Yes I do.  I have to believe when a door is opened that it is meant to be considered.  I have a door that continues to open.  My previous employer is trying very hard to get me to come back.  I would lose a pension to do that, but I am real depressed where I am now.  There are other factors I have to consider. We are in discussions and I am scared to death.  It is a tough stressful job, but one I did well for a long time.   I miss them, but  there are some hitches and I would need my dexh to help me.  I guess I will have to decide something next week.   In the mean time - I am not getting a lot of sleep.  Did I say that I was scared??

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, someone struggling doesn't want or need to hear that. :(

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

no.  but i think in times of hardship and in times of ease we can always be learning lessons.
its too convenient to say "things happen for a reason".. people can easily retrofit in order to make it all make sense or seem to fit in to some kind of "master plan" or divinity.  i think we make choices and those choices lead to other choices and actions both in our control and outside of it (involving other people - not some supernatural being).
 what i do hate is when people say that when someone is going through a difficult time.  how damn insensitive can a person be to say that to a person struggling.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Wishing you well. Please keep us informed. :)

Quoting rosebud727:

ZombieChicken
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes but its up to you to learn from it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)