Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you bring plants inside for the winter

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 30 Replies

I see that several of us are preparing for cold weather, including bringing in plants. I haven't brought in plants since I am afraid of bringing in little unwanted visitors, also. All I can think to do would be to unpot the plant, remove all soil, wash every bit of the plant, repot in fresh soil and clean pot.

What do you do? Have you ever had a bug problem from bringing plants inside?

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My inside plants are inside plants, I don't put them outside.  If they are outside, I bought them for that purpose and they stay outside.

LadySaphira
by Lisa on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't do plants....I have a brown thumb.

LEK19
More snow and winter weight training never stops!
Yesterday at 12:40 PM
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I have my first potted plants that I will be taking in soon. I think it is a begonia and the other is a dahlia. I will just be bringing them in the garage to winter over until next year. 

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

This has been my policy also. I have many indoor plants, and they stay indoors.  One time I used a bag of potting soil that had univited guests (fruit flies)  (for my indoor plants) and had to repot everything I'd use it for.

Quoting Why123:

My inside plants are inside plants, I don't put them outside.  If they are outside, I bought them for that purpose and they stay outside.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

The garage would be OK, good  point.

Quoting LEK19:

I have my first potted plants that I will be taking in soon. I think it is a begonia and the other is a dahlia. I will just be bringing them in the garage to winter over until next year. 

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM

awww,  probably not more than I do. :)

Quoting LadySaphira:

I don't do plants....I have a brown thumb.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this

The only plants I take in are some coleus and geranium.  I just cut a "bouquet" of various coleuses and stick them in water.  After the roots get too large for the jar I just cut them again.  I usually throw them out after a few months.  I bring in one of my red geraniums.  I just cut the roots so they are short and cut the plant way back and plant it in a small pot and keep it in my bay window all winter.  I love that it blooms bright red flowers for Christmas and Valentines Day.

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM

You do have a green thumb!  These sound like good ways to move plants in. I didn't know that geraniums would do this.

Quoting jabs54:

The only plants I take in are some coleus and geranium.  I just cut a "bouquet" of various coleuses and stick them in water.  After the roots get too large for the jar I just cut them again.  I usually throw them out after a few months.  I bring in one of my red geraniums.  I just cut the roots so they are short and cut the plant way back and plant it in a small pot and keep it in my bay window all winter.  I love that it blooms bright red flowers for Christmas and Valentines Day.

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Bmat:

You do have a green thumb!  These sound like good ways to move plants in. I didn't know that geraniums would do this.

Quoting jabs54:

A lot of people just bring geraniums in but I feel they get too big and tend to loose leaves.  It really is nice to have flowers in December...

Bmat
by Barb on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I get "hungry" (I don't know how else to word it) for flowers in the winter.  I do buy poinsettias, and those amaryllis that you plant in a pot.  I learned last year not to buy the potted narcissus- my allergies didn't like them.

Quoting jabs54:

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting jabs54:

A lot of people just bring geraniums in but I feel they get too big and tend to loose leaves.  It really is nice to have flowers in December...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)