Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Efficient ... or lazy?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

So this weekend, I was baking 8 chicken thighs, and also wanted to bake a pound of bacon but don't have enough room in my oven for 2 baking trays.  Hmmm, I thought, dumping the entire slab of sliced bacon onto foil in my small baking dish.  I wonder how this bacon will come out if I don't separate it?  Guess what?  It came out fine!  Once it was almost done, I separated the slices with a fork and put them up to freeze. When I want bacon now, I just get out as many slices as I want/need, wrap them in a paper towl and nuke for 30 seconds.  ha.

This morning, I set out 3 pounds of frozen ground beef because I want to make chili.  I use the crockpot but must brown that ground beef first.  I didn't have the time to stand over my stove, browning that ground beef so I thought Hmmm.  I wonder if I could bake it?  Lined a baking pan with foil, dumped in the nearly-defrosted 3 pounds of ground beef and guess what?  An hour later, it's done!  lol.  I did have to kind of break it up with my plastic spatula but it's done and ready to get dumped into the crock pot with the remaining ingredients.  I am really short on time now, so will put it in the fridge and assemble later tonight, to let it simmer on low overnight in the crockpot while I'm sleeping.  Guess what I'm having for dinner tomorrow?! 

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Awesome!
DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I bake meatballs rather than fry them, less messy.  You can also cook back on paper towels in the microwave and it turns out just fine.   What were you making BTW?

louannwilkins
by Louann on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Look at you with all the cooking tips!!  lol  Chili sure does sound good!    :)

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM

with the hamburger I'm making chili.  it's my grandpa's recipe that I've tweaked over the years and I let it simmer all day on low in the crockpot.

the bacon just to have ready to eat when I feel like it.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

I bake meatballs rather than fry them, less messy.  You can also cook back on paper towels in the microwave and it turns out just fine.   What were you making BTW?

DixieL
by Dixie on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:41 PM

It sounds good.

Rileyscute
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband bakes chicken for a week at a time (he eats it for lunch at work)

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Sounds efficient to me if it works out for you!!!

Are you making chili, by any chance??? 

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I bake meatballs, too! 

Quoting DesignGirl450:

jabs54
by Jeanine on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I didn't know you could bake bacon that way.  I'll have to try it :)   Do you mind sharing your chili recipe?

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Now I just read this! It is chili-making weather over here!!! I made white chili with chicken the other day! 

Quoting suzeebloch:

with the hamburger I'm making chili.  it's my grandpa's recipe that I've tweaked over the years and I let it simmer all day on low in the crockpot.

the bacon just to have ready to eat when I feel like it.

Quoting DesignGirl450:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN