Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a tough decision to make

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM
  • 65 Replies

In your mid-50's, would you leave the security of one job to another less secure job? 

One is a job you dislike the whole atmosphere of the company, you are given no respect, work with many that do not have any knowledge or work ethic so the whole group is treated like they are idiots, poor management, yet the job offers a secure pension, good health insurance even after retirement?  Keep in mind you would be doing other people's work for them with no recognition, not to mention they would be in a higher paid position than you are.  There is no likelihood of being laid off.  You would have 8 years to retirement - which you live alone and not sure what you will do in retirement. 

Or...the other job is more than double the pay, you are management, you would have a lot of work keeping up with changes and policies, less secure in that there is no pension and no health care after retirement.  You would be working with people you know and care about and they care about you.  They want you to return so it is not likely you would be laid off - yet there are no assurances.  You would have a vested interest in your work and have respect.  You would have at least 9 years before you could retire...if the stock market holds out.  Not to mention you would have to cover your own health insurance in the gap to medicare.

I am wrestling with this and honestly I am scared.  I honestly believe that staying at the old job will make me miserable and stressful to work so hard while people who are at a higher level accomplish so little, yet the new job has a lot of responsibilities and stress of it's own.   Just curious - what would you do?  I have to decide something and move on with life.  Also - do any of you have any experience with the medical insurance gap between retirement and medicare?

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have insurance at your job, you could self pay that insurance under COBRA.  I think you can self pay for 18 months and then if you are not yet Medicare eligible, I think you would have to take out a private policy.  Of couse answers on insurance probably all depends on what the final outcome of the Affordable Care Act is.  And as to what I would do in staying or making a job change, I think I too would think about it long and hard.  In the end I would no doubt take the one that I could be the most content to spend my time doing.  I have always maintained that if you have to do something for 8 hours a day, it should be something you can enjoy.  I do think this is one of those decisions Esme was referring to and definitely one not to be made without some thought.  Good Luck.   And do let us know what you decide.

DesignGirl450
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Being in a workplace all day which is unhappy can take it's toll on physical health.  You don't say how long you have been working there, but is it long enough to have accrued a considerable pension already which you make keep for when you retire?  As the money is considerably more in the new position, can you save more and put it into a retirement fund which can earn more money so you will be better set up for when you retire?  Will the Obamacare cover you for health care while working and into your retirement years?  I think you really need to look at the financial numbers of what you will end up with if you stay in your current position, and what you can have when you retire if you take the other, higher paying job.  This is a very tough choice to make on your own, and I wish you the best of luck.  Let us know how things go.  Hugs. 

Mariagma3
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM

You really do have a tough decision to make. I would think long and hard on it. I would also pray alot on it, which you may already be doing. One thing I do know, is being miserable at a job, is not worth your mental well being. Good luck whatever you decide!!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I walked off a well-paying job, if you recall, back in March, to the uncertainty of returning to work for the company in FL.  The career I'm in is a dying industry and I took a dramatic cut in pay, no benefits. 

but you know what?  My happiness is more important to me than anything else.  It's a struggle financially and I don't have anything set aside for retirement It is scary, but to me, my happiness is the most important thing.  Now, if what I do was double the pay to boot ... it would definitely be a no brainer for me. 

Come January 1, the ACA goes into effect.  Insurance can't deny you for pre-existing conditions so I'd say don't worry about the health insurance part.  As far as retirement - heck, I go nuts when I don't have enough to keep me busy.  I will just have to hope that my Soc Security will be enough.  And if it isn't?  Well, I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. 

for me, I believe I made the right decision. 

I don't envy you one bit, Maddie!  I know this is a tough spot to be in.   But I find it comforting to be able to "talk out loud" here a MWAK and hear what others have to say!  

grownsexy
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Happiness is more important. I say get your happy back.
grownsexy
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Happiness is more important. I say get your happy back.
LadyDiamond927
by Pamela on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:26 PM

That's really a touch decison...you have to do what's best for you and your family....

KittyGram
by Becky on Oct. 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Being unhappy on the job is so detrimental to your health. I'm sure its frightening to consider changing jobs, but if it were me, I'd go. We spend entirely too much time at work to be miserable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Companies are cutting pensions and health care every day. Don't think for a minute it will be there. Dh works for a world wide company. One of the worlds largest. They axed retirement health care a few years ago. No pensions for new hires either.
Do what makes you happy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
njt320
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 10:21 PM
I have this same problem but have 9 months until my retirement. Idk if I could make it 8 years. It takes a toll on ya. But you ONLY HAVE 8 Years! My coworker my age has 14! Stick it out for the pension and insurance maybe things will get better soon. But that no recognition for busting your butt hurts! I feel your pain. I do what used to be 2 full time jobs, I was brought in an office and Yelled at! Like a child for stupid crap cuz 2 other women couldn't get along 😥 you have a hard decision...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)