Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

QOTD- 10/30/13- Who was your CHILD's best teacher and why?

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

What teacher did you like the best for any/all of your children? And Why? Did your kids like the same teacher you liked?

teacher 

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Johnny's first grade teacher, Mrs. Rowland, is the teacher who suggested we have Johnny assessed as a gifted child.  First Grade!  lol.  He was tested and determined to be gifted and during grade school, each Friday he was bussed to another school where he did gifted stuff.  In middle school and high school, he took advanced placement courses.  In high school, he tested and got college credit for math and one chemistry class - and wow.  I paid $85 for each of those tests.  Those were the least expensive college credits ever and gave him a bit of a head start toward his degree.

His 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Burr, was a phenomenal teacher.  That was the last year she taught before retiring. 

Most of Johnny's teachers were great, but these 2 really stood out.

Jessica - well, she was academically challenged all thru school.  I can't remember any teacher that really stood out.  And since she's 10 years older than Johnny, it's 10 more years I have to look back and no one particular teacher comes to mind.  :o(

Why123
by Nancy on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I don't remember the names of many teachers my kids had.  I remember that my oldest daughter was very impressed by her 4th grade teacher and decided that she wanted to be a teacher.  She had a lot of other goals in between but she is now a teacher.  The one I remember with the second daughter was her sixth grade teacher.  She had me come in and cook a Korean meal for the class.  That was fun.  A lot of the students wanted to help cook.  I will always remember the teachers reaction to her first taste of kimchi.  She took a bite, put her hand over her mouth, said "Oh my God" and ran out of the room.  Some of the students were willing to try it but not many.  With my youngest daughter it was her second grade teacher.  She was very sweet.  With my son, I don't really remember any.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

For the most part all od the teachers my kids had were good.  The ones that stand out in my mind the most were a couple my oldest son had when we lived in a logging camp in Alaska.  They taught grades 1 thru 8 in a one room school which must have been a challenge in itself.  But they were great with the kids.  My son basically missed the first grade though because he was much too interested in what the second graders were learning and mastered those skills beautifully.  

DesignGirl450
by Lynda on Oct. 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Cassidy's Grade 3 teacher was the field trip queen.  She took the students in her class on two field trips a month, and as a stay at home mom, I was along on most of them.  Everything from visiting a farm to see cows and the dairy process, to snow shoeing, to a maritime museum.  She was a wonderful, caring and upbeat person and parents and students alike loved her.  She was a very fair and  open educator as well.  

Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM

We homeschooled so me!

Before we homeschooled my girl had two really good teachers. One used parents for classroom activities and encouraged us to bring in anything we knew or were good at. The other often brought her family in and did things like take the kids to see her kids play college ball.

My son had one teacher he liked but she was way too lax. I was just glad he was happy for once.

All the private pre school teachers K3 and K4 were great, organised and caring.

gmadiane
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

my oldest son Micheal had a fantastic second grade teacher named Ms. Beckwith, she was just so nice and good with all the kids and my daughter had some issues and hated school but she had a teacher in the seventh grade names Ms. Miranah who was so good and understanding with her and made school a little more bearable for her. unfortunatly there have also been some really bad ones

PestPatti
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I never really thought about it, I know a couple that stand out as I thought they sucked.  

My daughter in law was voted Teacher of the Year by her schools National Honor Society.    The ceremony was tonight, and my son called, he is a very proud husband.  

campingmomof4
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM

All 4 of my kids had at least one great teacher thru the years.   They all had one in elementary school that helped them thru.   All of them had one great teacher in high school that they still talk about. 

hugss
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Loved a few of each of their teachers ;)

KittyGram
by Becky on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM

The one that stands out in my mind is her second grade teacher, Mrs. L, we'll call her.  I don't remember any more what it was about her, but I know I had a very high opinion of her back then!!!  I'll have to ask my daughter what she remembers about her.

She had some teachers in high school, especially for English Lit and history classes, that were very tough, had very high expectations, and my daughter loved them!  She loved all of her art teachers; her 8th grade choir teacher was awesome - he really enjoyed his job, you could tell when watching him direct them during concerts.  He really gave them a love of music, and he picks some of the classics for them to sing...  some Beatles and Queen, among others. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)