Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whatcha reading? (November, 2013)

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM
  • 19 Replies

I just started "Toxin" by Robin Cook, on Monday night, but I got a call yesterday from my library telling me that they have the book I requested.  So last night I picked up the last of The Walking Dead novels.  I think this one is called "The Fall of the Governor".  Because it's a new book, the loan period is just 2 weeks instead of the normal 4.  So I have to set "Toxin" aside for now.  

I've finished the prologue and 2 chapters of Toxin.  It's one of those books that I bought at GoodWill for $.89.  I didn't read the back cover till Monday, and then started wondering if I REALLY wanted to read it.  It's a fictional account of a doctor whose daughter is infected with E. coli.  It's the story of his investigation into how she contracted it.  So, it's a gross story about the meat processing industry.  

But, what I've read of it so far, it's really good writing, the story flows, etc. etc.  I haven't gotten to the part yet, though, where they find out she's been infected.  

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going thru a phase right now of murder mysteries.  I'm reading books by Lisa Gardner, primarily ebooks which I can check out for free from my library.  I have a couple of books ordered and am waiting for them to become available - 2 thru the ebooks and 2 hard copies at the library. 

KittyGram
by Becky on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM
I'll have to look into her, i've not read any by her. I like a good murder mystery too.

Quoting suzeebloch:

I'm going thru a phase right now of murder mysteries.  I'm reading books by Lisa Gardner, primarily ebooks which I can check out for free from my library.  I have a couple of books ordered and am waiting for them to become available - 2 thru the ebooks and 2 hard copies at the library. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwaysbelieve
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Uhhh...Maternal Newborn Nursing...

As for 'normal' books...when I finish this exam, I will most likely pick up one of the Debbie Macomber books I have but not read yet...I'm thinking one of the Christmas ones ;) 

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

She has quite a few "series" so be sure to start with the first in the series!   I have enjoyed them all so far.  In fact, it's hard to put them down but thank goodness I take sleepy meds and simply can't keep my eyes open after a certian point.  Or I'd probably keep on reading ... lol.

Quoting KittyGram:

I'll have to look into her, i've not read any by her. I like a good murder mystery too.

Quoting suzeebloch:

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm reading The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo. It's really good. I'll probably finish it today but I had nightmares! So only reading that one during the day from now on!

Here is the description:

From Booklist

Choo’s remarkably strong and arresting first novel explores the concept of Chinese spirit marriages in late-nineteenth-­century Malaya through the eyes of the highly relatable Li Lan, a poor but spunky young woman, who is approached by the wealthy family of a dead man to become his bride. Li Lan prefers to rebuff the unusual offer despite its implications of good social standing and financial rescue for her money-strapped family.

But when her dreams are brusquely invaded by the rather unsavory dead man, Lim Tian Ching, she realizes she may already be in over her head. Her dead suitor’s living cousin, Tian Bai, now the family heir, further complicates matters as Li Lan wrestles with her very real attraction to him. As the angry ghost becomes more possessive in her dreams, and his family more demanding that she marry him, Li Lan’s involvement with the Lim family becomes even murkier and potentially dangerous. With its gripping tangles of plot and engaging characters, this truly compelling read is sure to garner much well-deserved attention. --Julie Trevelyan

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I too am reading a Lisa Gardner book right now and have a Jonathon Kellerman and Patricia Cornwall waiting to be read.  I have never read Jonathon Kellerman but he is a favorite of my husband's who assures me I will like him.  Another favorite of mine is Sue Grafton but I haven't seen a new one of hers in awhile.  I also like J A Jance and Karin Slaughter a lot.

Why123
by Nancy on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Right now I am more than half way through Exclusive by Sandra Brown.  Her books are usually very good.  I think I have a Lisa Jackson book that is the next to be read.

KittyGram
by Becky on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Quoting mac1940:

I too am reading a Lisa Gardner book right now and have a Jonathon Kellerman and Patricia Cornwall waiting to be read.  I have never read Jonathon Kellerman but he is a favorite of my husband's who assures me I will like him.  Another favorite of mine is Sue Grafton but I haven't seen a new one of hers in awhile.  I also like J A Jance and Karin Slaughter a lot.

I used to read a lot of Patricia Cornwell.  And I like Kellerman.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/supportive group :)
34 minutes ago
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Hugs on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Not reading anything right now :(
Usually books by Susan Mallory :)

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I'm in a slump. I have Fluke by Christopher Moore and it seems good and his style and I think he is hilarious but I just can't get into it. 

So I started looking and reading some of the many, many, many magazines I have. Found a great sounding cookie recipe  I will definitely be trying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)