As many of you know, my 23-year old son has been battling a brain tumor since he was 19. He had brain surgery when he was 21 and will be on anti-seizure meds for a very very very long time. He has new MRIs done about once every 4 months.
Well, his latest MRI done a couple weeks ago showed some possible growth. His neurologist presented his case to their Brain Tumor Conference. Johnny had a visit with a neurosurgeon to talk about the findings and options, just 2 days go, on Monday.
The BTC was aggressive in their recommendation of surgery.
The neurosurgeon has pretty much left this entire decision up to Johnny. This is why my heart hurts. His options are
(1) Do surgery now.
(2) Start chemotherapy now.
(3) Wait 4 months and get another MRI in February and then make another decision based upon those results.
He emailed me the recording of his doctor's visit and then I called him (per his request). What a horrible thing to have to try and decide. He wanted to see what I thought, since this neurosurgeon has basically told him he could choose any one of these options. Johnny asked pertinent questions regarding recovery but there is absolutely no way to know if he would encounter the same issues he did last time (mainly right-sided weakness that gradually improved with physical therapy over 5 weeks after surgery, and the Expressive Aphasia that lasted about the same length of time). We talked about all three of these options and he decided to just wait until February and get a new MRI and THEN make another decision then as to what to do next. He knows that I would come to be with him in a heartbeat if/when he chooses to have surgery. Thank GOODNESS my work is 100% portable!
I just needed to get this off my chest. I am so thankful to have all my "friends" here at MWAK that I can talk to!
I gave him this T-shirt last Christmas. It says "Trust Me. I'm an Engineer."