Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Kitchen Talk 11/24/13- When you make a new recipe, do you change any ingredients or directions?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM
  • 15 Replies

If so, do you do that before you make it the first time or after you make it according to direction the first time?

by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 5:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suzeebloch
by Ronna on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I usually follow the directions when trying a new recipe, but if it calls for sugar, I use my liquid sweetner instead. 

KittyGram
by Becky on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I usually follow it word for word the first time, unless I've accidentally forgotten to pick up an item that can easily be substituted. Next time around, though, if I feel it needs a little change I will.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I usually follow the recipe unless it calls for something I don't eat like meat. Then tweak it. Often I half the recipe for a smaller batch.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Only add ins like nuts.
gonecrazi
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM

After I make it the first time.

Maddie24
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I try to follow the directions the first time, but am quick to add my own seasoning or change up the ingredients.

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I always think I am going to follow it exactly as written the first time but sometimes wind up changing it a bit for one reason or another.  But the next time I make it, I quite often put my own spin on it.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Agreed with everyone else. Follow it the first time so that I know what it's suppose to taste like then make my tweaks the next time.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Yes, often! I do both. It really depends on the availability of some of the ingredients and if they are optional or not. 

I almost always leave out cayenne, red pepper or jalapenos. I don't like the heat!

louannwilkins
by Louann on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Most of the time I use the recipe as it calls for but I have tweaked them later on.  lol

Like I think nuts in desserts usually make them even better.  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN