Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

no electricity

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 26 Replies
Weve been without electricity since Monday @11:00am. Ice storm in Maine. Geez, you don't think about how electrified your life is, until it isnt!
Tuesday we went out and bought a generator. 6000. But of course we had to pick and choose what to hook up....what were the real necessities. He's an electrician, so it was easy for him to install the transfer switch, etc. Furnace so we could have hot water. Water pump so we could have water. Refrigerator. Pellet stove, as we don't heat with our furnace. We have a couple plugs here and there, so we do have coffee in the morning, and can charge our computers and cell phones. But really no lights...so we do the flashlights and candles in the evenings. No tv. We keep blowing a fuse in the pellet stove, so I think we'll unplug the furnace and only heat that water in the morning for showers. No stove.
It's 17 degrees and snowing.
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maddie24
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Yikes!!!  I am so sorry.  I am in Alabama and was without electricity for  6 days in April 2011 after a tornado.  I realized then how lucky we were that it was not cold outside, I had a gas hot water heater and gas stove so we had some conveniences.  We passed the time by cleaning during the day and playing board games by candle light at night.  I hope you had the generator running yesterday.   Having this happen over Christmas really stinks.  It will certainly be a Christmas you will not forget!  Has the power come back on yet??  Hang in there and Merry Christmas!

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM

And I hear via the newscasters that it could be several more days for you.  Sounds like you are making the best of  it.   We wuld be totally in trouble if that were to happen here as I think everything in this house is dependent on electricity.    It is surprising how dependent we have let ourselves get on these modern conveniences.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM
No electric yet. I'm almost ashamed at how dependant we are. Haha
Luckily we don't have little kids or elderly here and nothing medical that requires electric.
jabs54
by Jeanine on Dec. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Oh crap!  That would be especially sad to not have electricity over Christmas :(

gmadiane
by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM

oh my goodness

mjmorrison
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

my hubby left yesterday, heading your way. he's a lineman. yes left on Christmas day

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 12:34 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Aww sorry to hear this,
Any idea of whne power will be restored?
Hugs to you & stay warm :)

Seashell77
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Yikes that sounds brutal. That's such a long time to be without electricity, especially when you live in such a cold place.  It's really good that you got a generator, so you and your family could continue living at home. It's even better your dh is an electrician and he did all the work. Can't get much luckier than that ! I wish you and your family well and hope you'll have your electricity back a.s.a.p. Hang in there.

lovegrandbaby
by Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Do you have National Grid (aka National Greed)?  I am thankful we have gas stove and furnace.  I would never be without a gas stove.  I have a stove top coffee pot, cuz I would never survive without my coffee.  Hope you get your power on soon.

EireLass
by Gold Member on Dec. 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this
No electricity yet....6pm here. We have Central Maine Power.
Everyone is in touch on FB....and we all seemed to be able to have internet. As we each get electric or generator we announce we're open for hot showers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)