• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Today is BACON DAY!!!!! (12/30)

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM
  • 10 Replies

OMG!!!! This is an amazing holiday!!! 

What is your favorite way to eat BACON?

Cindy

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM

This looks very good. Not sure how to get the bacon into that shape.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:31 AM

I actually smelled this in Yankee Candle, kinda icky!

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 30, 2013 at 5:38 AM

hey, thanks for the reminder ... I have had a couple pounds of pork belly curing in the refrigerator to make my own bacon.  I've been waiting for a cold day so I can have my oven on for a couple of hours at 200° ... today will be the perfect day!  Right now, at 4:30 a.m., it's 9° outside ... I plan to brush on some Liquid Smoke as it bakes ...

Not sure who, but on my ex-husband's side - it might have been his mother - but whoever, she dredged bacon slices in flour and then fried them.  Makes a very crispy coating and the bacon doesn't get all fried out of shape.  I just placed the flour in a paper sack and did it that way.

I discovered not too long ago that you can bake bacon in the oven - just line a baking pan with foil and place slices on it - bake at 350° for about 30 minutes ... and most recent discovery was that you don't even have to separate the slices!   I like to go ahead and cook an entire pound of bacon then freeze in individual slices and when I want some, I just wrap in several layers of paper towel and zap in the microwave.   Baking in the oven means you don't have to stand next to that frying pan with hot fat popping out, turning the slices ...

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Can no longer enjoy bacon though when I could and did eat it, my favorite way was either in a BLT or a Club sandwich.  I have a microwave bacon stand that you drape the bacon on and it comes out looking like the first picture you posted.  But now I usually cook it in the oven, especially if I am doing a bunch.

Why123
by Nancy on Dec. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I like BLTs.

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

so - my homemade bacon wasn't too bad for my first go-around.

but OOPS I forgot to rinse it before placing in oven.  maybe that's why mine tastes uber salty.  LOL.

Second, I discovered pre-sliced pork belly is probably not the best route to go.  I had a hard time getting the slices apart.  LOL. 

I found the uncured sliced pork bellies at the asian market where my mom shops for her japanese groceries.  I used plenty of cracked pepper and then Morton's Quick Cure but instead of sugar or molasses I used my own liquid splenda.  And since I have no smoker,  I brushed on liquid smoke.  3 hours at 200°.  I look forward to trying this again!

rosebud727
by Rose on Dec. 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I like really good bacon, strips are just fine with me. :-)

Esmrlda
by Esme on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:40 PM

A BLT is my favorite sandwich of all!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM

cooked

louannwilkins
by Louann on Dec. 31, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I like it anyway you make it but I guess my fav way to eat it is in a sandwich.  I either fry mine on kind of a low heat or in the oven.  I like my bacon crispy. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)