Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD- 01/08/14- Do you sew?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:09 AM
  • 37 Replies

What ws the last thing you sewed? 

Cindy

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:45 AM

I can not sew.  At all.   LOL  :)

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 8, 2014 at 6:49 AM

I don't sew much any more but I used to do it often.

The last thing I sewed was replacing the zipper in my purse.

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I sew a little bit. I probably should do more.  My DD is an excellent seamstress and sews all the time. She made both of her prom gowns when she was in HS and also all of her formal dresses for other occasions that she was involved in. She loves to sew.  Now she is getting into quilting.

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I do but haven't in years. I've made baby quilts, used to make dresses for my dd all the time when she was little. I wish I had more time to sew again.

rosebud727
by Rose on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I know how to sew, and I sew when I have to, which is now very seldom.

Last thing I sewed was a pair of jeans that were too long.

MichelleMc
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Nope. I can sew a button on or do a crappy job of fixing a rip in something but I am not good at it or like it. 

kuntrylady56
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I used to sew quite a bit when I was still in High School and made some of my own clothes. But I haven't used my sewing machine in years. I always thought it was cheaper to make clothes and was going to make my daughters when she was small,but by the time you buy the material,patterns and add ons it actually turns out to be  more exspensive.  

My Mom was an excellent seamstress and sewed all the time when we were younger.ME and my sister always had beautiful dresses she would make us for school. And she could hand sew things and the stitches were so small and perfect they looked machine sewn. She made me and my sister beautiful handmade Barbie clothes that were so beautiful. My cousins got jealous because ours were prettier and nicer than their store bought ones.  I stil have a Barbie case with some of them in it.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Hems. I can sew very well, just don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I've tried a few times but I'm not good at it. I darn up holes sometimes in my 20 year old robe which is my friend. LOL

suzeebloch
by Ronna on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I think back when we were teenagers/young adults, it WAS cheaper to sew your own versus buy.  But you are right.  With today's prices at the fabric stores, it's usually a break-even to purchase off the rack, especially factoring in your time.  When I was in junior high, if memory serves me right, patterns were like 69ยข or something ... now aren't they like $9 or $10 unless you find them on sale?  so stupid.  I still have lots of patterns from way back when and can use them for simple skirts, etc., but even so, buying them on sale is usually cheaper in the long run now.

Quoting kuntrylady56:

I used to sew quite a bit when I was still in High School and made some of my own clothes. But I haven't used my sewing machine in years. I always thought it was cheaper to make clothes and was going to make my daughters when she was small,but by the time you buy the material,patterns and add ons it actually turns out to be  more exspensive.  

My Mom was an excellent seamstress and sewed all the time when we were younger.ME and my sister always had beautiful dresses she would make us for school. And she could hand sew things and the stitches were so small and perfect they looked machine sewn. She made me and my sister beautiful handmade Barbie clothes that were so beautiful. My cousins got jealous because ours were prettier and nicer than their store bought ones.  I stil have a Barbie case with some of them in it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)