Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Do You Have a Child Serving in the Military?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM
  • 50 Replies
2 moms liked this
I thought it would be nice if our Military Moms had a post to meet each other!

If you have a son or daughter (or other family members) serving in the millitary, reply to this post and tell us about them!

What branch are they serving in? How long have they been in?
Are they or have they been deployed?
Do they plan on making the military a career?

army navy marines air force coast guard
Feel free to also join CafeMom's Military Families group as well.

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM
3 moms liked this

Sure do proudly :)

Army army

right at 7 months. 

He isn't, but he is Infantry so it is always an option. 

At this time there is a maybe but not a yes. He has always wanted to go into the military since he was 3. The only thing that changed was branch. He grew up a Navy Brat, and changed to going into the Army. We couldn't be more proud of his choice to join the military.  

Michelle, Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 20, 2014 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I have not one but two sons serving in the military.  My oldest son is a Naval officer having enlisted in the Navy right out of high school.  Thanks to the Navy he has earned his bachelors and two masters degrees and has reached the rank of Lt Commander.  Currently stationed in Falls Church, Virginia he has served in the Navy for 23 years.  My youngest son joined the Army following high school graduation and served two tours in Afghanistan as a helicopter crew chief and also was stationed for a time in outh America.  After serving six years, he rejoined the civilian ranks for a cou[le years and then reenlisted in the Army and is once again currently serving in Afghanistan, again as crew chief on Black Hawk helicopter.   Both are married and are the fathers of three of my beautiful granddaughters.

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

My oldest son just retired from the Army last week.   He was in 11 yrs and 4 deployments.  He got a medical retirement.  

My youngest son is in the Army.  He is in Hawaii currently.  Not sure if he will make a career of it or not.  He has not been on any deployments.

My first husband was in the Marines.  I had my oldest daughter while he was on a ship in the Med.  My second husband was in the Army.   I am a Blue Star Mother.  I am a member of the Auxiliary to the American Legion and VFW.  I have been in may positions in the VFW Auxiliary including President and Treasure. 

I will all our military a safe and happy career. 

louannwilkins
by Louann on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes....in the guard and he has been deployed to Iraq once.  Not sure if he will re-enlist or not

LeJane
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM
3 moms liked this

air force

One of our sons is in the US Air Force.     He has been in for 4 years and has been deployed out of country twice.  Once, deployed to Afghanistan.  That was follosed by  a mini- deployment  to  England, Spain, Turkey and Afghanistan.  He has also had a couple of mini deployments with  in the States.     

I am thinking at this point he will be a lifer,  time will tell.    He is currently being outprocessed for a transfer from the East Coast to Oahu.     

darmomusaf
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 7:13 AM
2 moms liked this

My son served in the Air Force for 6 years. He was discharged last year. It was a great experience for him. 

Mariagma3
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

My daughter was in the USMC, she's out now. Her hubby is in the USMC, as well. marines

Marinefranksmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:19 PM

My son is a Marine, current status inactive reserves, with the rank of Sgt.  He graduated Parris Island boot camp in 2006 in the Honor Platoon, &  served 5 years as an MP.  He has had 2 deployments, to Iraq & Afghanistan (this photo was taken on his wedding day just before he left for Afghanistan in 2010). He would have been on a 3rd deployment but he was slightly injured in Iraq & was on light duty for 15 months.  He did not want to make a career in the Marine Corps but he learned & experienced a great deal, traveled a lot & met his lovely bride in SC where he was stationed & where they now live.  They just bought a house, they have a son almost 3 & another baby due in July. Many of his Marine buddies live nearby & they socialize with eachother & their families.  He is a police officer & many of his fellow officers are also Marines.  I originally came to Cafe Mom via a Marine Mom group; when it disbanded, I stayed in touch with 3 of the Moms on Facebook.  A shout-out with thanks to you military families & Semper Fi to your Marines!

alwaysbelieve
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this

My DS27 started out in Civil Air Patrol when he was 14. Then, on 9/11/01 he came home from school announcing "That's it! I'm going over there! Nobody does that to MY country and gets away with it!" He went to see a recruiter after school the following day and began pre-recruit training. On his 17th birthday, 2 years later, he was at MEPS signing his papers committing to enter after graduation.
Two days before his 18th birthday, I dropped him off at the recruiter on my way to take DSforever17 to the ER. (He was sent to his specialty hospital 3 hrs from home-but that's another story)
He turned 18 in boot camp. Graduated boot on 9/11/04. Went to Texas for A-school, then to CA. He volunteered (begged) to take another Seabee's place on his first deployment. He left for Fallujah early April 2005.
He turned 19 in Fallujah. DSforever17 passed 6 weeks later, so he was allowed to come home for 2 weeks.
He returned to Kuwait for another 2 weeks. Then was deployed to Peru in 2006. He then went back to Kuwait for Christmas 2007. Then he was off to Sasebo Japan in 2008. He was home long enough to get married, then was deployed to Afghanistan in 2009. 
Because he now had a newborn, he transferred to recruit duty in WI from 2010-2013.
He was "Hero of the Game" at one of the Chicago White Sox games (his favorite team), has done security detail for NASCAR. He was part of the promotional team in Green Bay WI for the release of Call of Duty:Black Ops. Moved back to CA. Then he was off to Croatia.
His next deployment is in August this year. Not sure where he is going yet, but knowing my son, it won't be anywhere too passive if he can help it.
Can't believe this summer he will have been in 10 years. 

navy

my4kids274
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:19 PM

My oldest daughter is in the Army National Guard reserves.  She has been in since 2011. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)