Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Adult Kids Moms with Adult Kids

Reported shots fired - Update

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

First there was someone killed at Purdue University in Indiana yesterday, which is not far from where I live.  The person arrested for the shooting is from the Dayton area.  Today there was a report of shots fired at the University of Oklahoma.  They haven't found anyone with injuries or signs that there was gun fire there.  I work at a college.  My mom is starting to get real worried about my safety.  The college has plans in the case there is a shooter.  They also practice a shooting scenerio with the local police every year.  There have been reports of all kinds of senseless shootings all over the country.  Does this kind of thing make you nervous?  Are you worried that this might happen where you live?  Tell me what you think about it all.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so no bashing please.

Update:  There has been another student killed on a college campus today.  This time at South Carolina State.  The following is from CNN.  1/24

This is the third campus shooting this week.

On Tuesday, a gunman shot and killed another student inside Purdue University's electrical engineering building. Police said Cody Cousins, 23, an engineering student, killed Andrew Bolt, 21, of West Bend, Wisconsin. Cousins was charged with murder.

On Monday, a student was shot and critically injured near a gym at Widener University near Philadelphia. Police were looking for a suspect.

On Wednesday, the University of Oklahoma in Norman briefly shut down after a report of a possible shooting that apparently turned out to be a false alarm, the university's president said.

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mac1940
by Mary Ann on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

So far, there have been no school shootings that I am aware of in our town or our state.  But we have had ever so many senseless shootings.  One of the factors for these in our town is the amount of gangs and thus gang wars that go on along with home invasions and the invaders armed.  And now since we are one of the two states who have legalized marijuana, I do fear there will be more - some to ge their hands on the pot and some to get their hands on the money to go buy pot.  Drivebys are an everyday occurence although in our neighborhood which is gated, we have not experienced any problems -----yet.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:10 PM

The most recent killing here in Dayton was a 15 year old boy.  They say that is wasn't an accidental shooting.  He was targeted.

Quoting mac1940:

So far, there have been no school shootings that I am aware of in our town or our state.  But we have had ever so many senseless shootings.  One of the factors for these in our town is the amount of gangs and thus gang wars that go on along with home invasions and the invaders armed.  And now since we are one of the two states who have legalized marijuana, I do fear there will be more - some to ge their hands on the pot and some to get their hands on the money to go buy pot.  Drivebys are an everyday occurence although in our neighborhood which is gated, we have not experienced any problems -----yet.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Yes very worried for my dd. Last year they had a lock down due to someone saw a man with a gun on campus.  They didnt find anyone....but yes I worry every day she goes to school due to its not in the best neighborhood.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:33 PM

If the school has been around for a long time, the neighborhoods are all bad.  My college has been around for 125 years.  It sits right downtown.  All you have to do is cross the bridge next to the school and the neighborhoods go down very quickly.

Quoting Esmrlda:

Yes very worried for my dd. Last year they had a lock down due to someone saw a man with a gun on campus.  They didnt find anyone....but yes I worry every day she goes to school due to its not in the best neighborhood.

LEK19
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:07 PM

It can happen anywhere. They are having a hard time profiling the shooters, aren't they? It is very scary when so many people are seeing that as a solution to whatever is troubling them.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Taking your own life is one thing.  Taking others with you is so very wrong.

Quoting LEK19:

It can happen anywhere. They are having a hard time profiling the shooters, aren't they? It is very scary when so many people are seeing that as a solution to whatever is troubling them.

Cindy18
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I'm not worried on a daily basis. I just can't live my life that way. My DD works and goes to school at Wayne State University and it's in the middle of Detroit. 

I actually believe the campus is safer than the city it's in.

Esmrlda
by Esme on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Thats interesting.

Quoting Why123:

If the school has been around for a long time, the neighborhoods are all bad.  My college has been around for 125 years.  It sits right downtown.  All you have to do is cross the bridge next to the school and the neighborhoods go down very quickly.

Quoting Esmrlda:

DixieL
by Dixie on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Ever since the Columbine shootings, it's made me a nervous wreck. My son, was still in school at that time. After Columbine, it just kept happening over and over again. Even though he has been out of school for ten years now, I can't stand hearing about it, because of other peoples kids.

Why123
by Nancy on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I believe that our campus is very safe also.  There have been strange people roaming around on campus though.  There is not much you can do about it.  Mostly we have robberys because students would walk off and leave their things unattended.

Quoting Cindy18:

I'm not worried on a daily basis. I just can't live my life that way. My DD works and goes to school at Wayne State University and it's in the middle of Detroit. 

I actually believe the campus is safer than the city it's in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)